Reef Keeper Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reeffreak

Hey reefers , Im looking for a little bit of a review on the Reef Keeper Contollers for those of you that are running one how do you like it ? Is there any other controller you would have went with after using yours for a bit ? Im interested in the reef keeper lite but would like to here some reviews on it from fellow members .

G

Gietz

I think it depends on what your trying to control??  All I wanted was one that controlled lights and heater (with prob) and it does that perfectly!!  It's got a standby mode which is nice but what I like best is the addition capabilities!!  I got it for 99.99 at IA. And I couldn't be happy!

shipwreck

I have the reef keeper elite, although I am still using it as a light.  So far I am very happy with it and for the price they can't be beat.  Reefkeeper was having some issues when they first came out that gave them some bad feedback but I think they have everything worked out and are now moving ahead with lots of new additions.

R

reeffreak

Have either of you guys ever ran an apex jr before , Im cusrious to see if for another 50 bucks would it be worth to buy that .

shipwreck

I have not.  I bought my reefkeeper through a bulk buy at a Toronto store so it was a very good deal.  If you go over to RC you will find many pros/cons about each unit as most are based on opinion.  Will they both turn on your lights, yes, will they both control your heater, yes.  Basically you need to look at what do you want from this today and what things do you want it to do tomorrow.  If you have a fixed list of the things you need then you can compare directly.  Then you can look at cost, visual appeal, expandibility etc.

R

reeffreak

I thought I would bring the question here and see what members locally are using  , thanks for the input shipwreck ... can you check monitor readins from an app with the RKL ?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
spend the 50 bucks extra and go with the apex jr, check out reefcentral for the thread that compares them both and hands down the apex is the recommended one. i have one and your welcome to check it out if you would like.

R

reeffreak

hey duke did you buy any upgrades for it or is it just what you get out the box ?  That would be awsome if I could check it out some time , Im hoping to pick up whichever one this week sometime , let me know what time works for you , Im bust for most the day today but let me know very much appreciated 

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
All 3 of us in sarnia have a apex ...me and neo have the one up that duke has so while yu go see dukes go see neos and see which one yu want ...I think there's a 100 dollar difference

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
+1 for the Apex Jr. It all depends on what you want to control and how much you want to spend.
Apex Jr =$150 - four outlets and internet connectivity, temp monitor
EB8= $150 -if you need an additional 8 outlets

I saw on Canreef not too long ago about a group buy for the full Apex, EB8, and temp probe for $400!

Neptune support is awesome too.

J

jones02

i been back n forth about this also, till i heard of a couple locals with RKL. there head unit went to shit adn stopped working. trying to get customer service was shit. that turned me away from it and im now going to go with the apex.

R

reeffreak

Im new to the whole idea of using a controller I would be using it for temp/lights/pumps right off the bat and im sure later would be adding some other things but again Im new to the idea of using a controller and Im looking to spend under 200 for now so leaves me with both options RKL and Apex jr with room to add onto each ,  by the sounds of it Apex JR is the route to go and Im thinking I will take that route . 

R

reeffreak

You guys all get them from BRS ?? make that 4 of us petercar  ;D

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
not sure where I got mine but it was 450- 500 bucks by the time i got it to my house.  It is the full apex though with probes and stuff.
I have dealt with my brothers RKE and I can say i liek the Apex better... even the Jrs. My apex has been rock solid with everything.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i have a Jr, its running my lights/pumps/heater and mine came from Bill also, im working night shifts right now but if you want for now u can just log onto mine through your web browser and check it out just pm me and ill send you the address. I wouldnt do a tank without one now.. even if you just use it for temperature control its well worth the money and theres zero risk of a heater boiling your fish if it sticks on, anything happens and i get a txt message letting me know whats going on with my tank regardless of where i am. i can log into it with the browser on my phone anywhere or for iphone users theres a fancy app. i love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.