Reef Raft Aussie LPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just saw Reef Raft brought in a nice Aussie shipment.

check these out..

gold hammer

attachment.php

gold torch

attachment.php

Wonder how much they are asking??

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
It was small $150 (2 heads) med $250 and lrg $350 for the gold torches.  He only has large left.

That hammer was $120 i think.  It was supposed to be true yellow hammer but it was more green IMO.

spyd

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
It was small $150 (2 heads) med $250 and lrg $350 for the gold torches.  He only has large left.

That hammer was $120 i think.  It was supposed to be true yellow hammer but it was more green IMO.

You just couldn't resist going there, could you?  ;D Those torches do look pretty awesome. I was pondering one but not sure how nice they would look under my lighting. Not sure if they would really pop or just look dull.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
spyd link said:
You just couldn't resist going there, could you?  ;D Those torches do look pretty awesome. I was pondering one but not sure how nice they would look under my lighting. Not sure if they would really pop or just look dull.
You know I have a problem right?  The torches are not as gold as the RR pictures but they are nice.  Expensive though for sure (these aren't a bargain but the going rate it seems).  As far as being dull they glow under actinic.....very nice.  Personally I think torches are the coolest of the Euphyllia family.  One thing about these aussie gold torches though is that they dont have long tenticles and I rather like that.  I have a two head gold torch from a previous kendari shipment and it has the long tenticles and I think I might like that one a touch better even though the colour is probably a lil better on the aussie torch.  Still tough to beat the kryptonite torch though.......super bright green with tenticles reaching out 6-8"

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=spyd link=topic=3603.msg30791#msg30791 date=1353497435]

You know I have a problem right?  The torches are not as gold as the RR pictures but they are nice.  Expensive though for sure (these aren't a bargain but the going rate it seems).  As far as being dull they glow under actinic.....very nice.  Personally I think torches are the coolest of the Euphyllia family.  One thing about these aussie gold torches though is that they dont have long tenticles and I rather like that.  I have a two head gold torch from a previous kendari shipment and it has the long tenticles and I think I might like that one a touch better even though the colour is probably a lil better on the aussie torch.  Still tough to beat the kryptonite torch though.......super bright green with tenticles reaching out 6-8"
[/quote]

Is your "Kryptonite Torch" actually a "Todd's Torch?" Just curious as I have been doing a little reading :)

chuckm

Juts picked up some orange tipped torch last week in windsor at 8.2 marine.
At $20. a head or 3 for 50 they are pretty sweet, pretty rare green tentacles/polyps with bright orange tips....pretty sweet!
She sold out in one day both weeks she got them in.
I epoxied it to the same rock as green on green torch..combo piece now! ;D

R

reeffreak

Salty Cracker link said:
Next year at the frag swap there will be yellow torch sitting on the trade table for $5 a head  lol.

So true .... But there will still be people wanting that price 2 years from now

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
And unicorns will show up riding rainbows.  Not saying the price may come down but in years i have not seen these aussie gold torches sell for less than 50per head frag.  Fragalot had them at that price over a year ago and sold out quick....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
And unicorns will show up riding rainbows.  Not saying the price may come down but in years i have not seen these aussie gold torches sell for less than 50per head frag.  Fragalot had them at that price over a year ago and sold out quick....

So these things have a high fatality rate or slow growth?  Pretty much the only things that would keep these from becoming no different from every other torch out there.... just sayin.  Look at what happened to red planet, grows so well. Just sayin. 

However, yeah the dood at RR will likely keep it in the "you can look but you can't buy" tank for a while to keep the prices up :)

R

reeffreak

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3603.msg30844#msg30844 date=1353533367]

So these things have a high fatality rate or slow growth?  Pretty much the only things that would keep these from becoming no different from every other torch out there.... just sayin.  Look at what happened to red planet, grows so well. Just sayin. 

However, yeah the dood at RR will likely keep it in the "you can look but you can't buy" tank for a while to keep the prices up :)
[/quote]

Bingo ... Things grow and get fragged sold to other hobbyist and so on which decreases the value and rarity of whatever piece it is . Ever wonder why guys like Rick and Burc can get away with sellin 10$ frags of high end stuff others are asking 45$ for ? Not me I kno why ....

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
Pretty sure.....since Todds torch originates in Upstate New York and that is where my kryptonite torch comes from.  I might as that question on another board though to be sure but it looks the exact same.
Is your \"Kryptonite Torch\" actually a \"Todd's Torch?\" Just curious as I have been doing a little reading :)
spyd link said:
Still waiting on a frag of that Kryptonite Torch!  ;D Make it grow faster will you! Lol.
I mentioned to you a while ago I had a frag.....you never asked about it and it ended up going to someone else.  I can let you know again next time.

However, yeah the dood at RR will likely keep it in the \"you can look but you can't buy\" tank for a while to keep the prices up
They are slow growers yes...especially when compared to some SPS.  Also they are from australia which makes them more pricey.

I dont want to argue prices too much but just because one or a few local people grow out a coral and begin to sell frags cheaper doesnt mean that is the price everywhere.  There are still lots of people in Canada right now willing to pay $40 and up for a small frag of ORA red planet.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Bingo ... Things grow and get fragged sold to other hobbyist and so on . Ever wonder why Rick and burc can get away with sellin 10$ frags of high end stuff others are asking 45$ for ? Not me I kno why
I've been at this and successful longer than most and I know the answer to that question. 

Also remember that there is more money in chop shop than spending years to grow out a coral.

R

reeffreak

Darryl_V link said:
Bingo ... Things grow and get fragged sold to other hobbyist and so on . Ever wonder why Rick and burc can get away with sellin 10$ frags of high end stuff others are asking 45$ for ? Not me I kno why
I've been at this and successful longer than most and I know the answer to that question. 

Also remember that there is more money in chop shop than spending years to grow out a coral.

I understand that but it's the hobby, things are expensive today cheap tomarrow that's how every peice of livestock in this hobby goes . Black Clownfish used to be insane prices now there dirt cheap, acans used to be $$$$ now there not so popular and less expensive and so on and so forth. Zoas go for next to nothing now a days . I mean if everyone could grow out sps like you Darryl I doubt we would see the prices we see now on certain types is sps

Status
Not open for further replies.