Reef safe epoxy for large corals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with off the shelf epoxies at home depot or lowes. I keep re reading that Loctite 2 part and jb waterweld is safe but your slimmer will go bananas for days. I need an option quick bc all my sps colonies keep falling. Help please

P

phi delt reefer

after you mix the two part give it a quick ro rinse then put it in the tank. a majority of the crap that comes off it it wont end up in ur tank and messing up your skimmer that way

P

phi delt reefer

naw i use the D & D stuff. Bought three boxes last year and still havent got through the second one. Incredible Aquarium carries the stuff. Comes in a coraline pinky purple and a rock grey.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Ya I just can't bring myself to spend more money on a niche brand of epoxy when it's basically the same thing as off the shelf epoxy for a 3rd of the price. Just looking to see if anyone on this forum has personal experience as I would trust you guys before someone else proclaiming its OK on a diff forum. Just ordered another huge sps order that's arriving today. Need to start glueing these things down. Getting crowded.

Ps.  Keep N eye open for a frag sale soon, gotta start clipping to make room!

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Like t-bone mentioned I've had good luck with the adhero repair expoxy (putty) from dollarama but can't seem to find it anymore.  Seems they carried it for a brief moment and not anymore.

In my research I havent been able to find an alternative that I feel is safe at any of the hardware stores.  Some of the epoxies that seem safe actually have metals in them.

JBwaterweld is supposed to be safe...any hardware stores carry it? HD in the states has it.

I use to get aquamend at the homedepot in the states but now they dont have that anymore.

Im looking to buy a box of any type of acceptable epoxy I can get for a good price. 

Z

Zakk

I need about 50 lbs of it to keep the goddamn turbos from rearranging the tank.  They've recently moved up from frags to moving liverock.  There's going to be a jihad over here soon. 

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Found jb waterweld at Canadian tire aisle 9. 9.99$ for a stick so I grabbed two. See how it does tonight when my order arrives

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
they have foodsafe 2 part epoxy putty at micheals crafts.. it actually dries purple too. i used a whole tube.. no issues. seemed exact same as the dollar store tube but 2x the price and purple

E

El concistador

Got mine a while ago, from canadian salvage

Pretty cheap between $7-11

It was a grey stick in a clear tube case with a white instruction booklet wrapped around it.

The middle had a beige center and was grey on the outside.

Never had a problem adding this type to my tank.

Z

Zakk

At BRS (get in the next bulk buy)

AquaStik Epoxy - Red Coralline - 4 oz $8.99

I went through two tubes and I still have devastation all over the place every morning.  ;D

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i switched to just dollar store thick gel super glue... it works better than the epoxys for me and its only 1 dollar a tube.. as long as its just CYANOACRYLATE glue i think your good to go.. its not as thick as the actual coral glues but its pretty close and at a buck a tube i just use it once or twice and just toss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.