Reef Safe Silicone

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
Hey Guys! Is this silicone reef safe? Thanks! :)

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.i-window--door-sealant-clear-290-ml.1000135326.html

1621f1541e59ccd5d5513c474b498a36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack

GE silicone 1 is good but don't use silicone 2 Home hardware sells a tube of there name brand silicone for under $5 and it says right on the tube that it is OK for aquariums I never had a chance to use it though

shamous113

GE I is okay for baffles and such but I think the general consensus is for building/re-sealing where the pressures are greater use, Momentive RTV 108 for clear and 103 for black. RTV100 series tensile strength is 400 psi, peel is 40 lbs/in. Here is a link to the technical data sheet

Edit: finding a Canadian source is a problem for the Momentive

Last edited:

shamous113

Why not just buy a tube of aquarium safe silicone from the lfs and not take any chances.

from the research I've done some times its the same stuff some times its a lower grade/quality of product still safe but not as strong. I've redone the silicone in large tanks before just redoing the filler in the corners i wasn't worried about the grade of the aquarium safe silicone that I was using.but when building or ripping a tank apart their is a big difference in a sealant vs an adhesives IMHO. it really depends on what your doing and the level of risk your willing to take. I have one of my suppliers from work looking for an equivalent that is readily available in southern Ontario, that failing I will be getting some from the states. I am going to be retro fitting a 150gal with a euro brace soon.

shamous113

I found this stuff it is aquarium safe and is a bit stronger then the rtv108 and its readily available in Canada. its made by the same company just under the GE brand. GE SCS1200 construction silicone glazing sealant, it has a tensile strength of 480psi and peel strength of 61 lbs/in after 21day cure @ a temp of 21c and 50% humidity. here's the data sheet. I did find it interesting that in the data sheet that they say this "The adhesive sealant is applied in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practice at a thickness not to exceed 6mm (1/4 inch) from an exposed edge" from what I gather the cure time increases greatly once you exceed 6mm depth from the exposed edge.

zoomster

GE I is okay for baffles and such but I think the general consensus is for building/re-sealing where the pressures are greater use, Momentive RTV 108 for clear and 103 for black. RTV100 series tensile strength is 400 psi, peel is 40 lbs/in. Here is a link to the technical data sheet

Edit: finding a Canadian source is a problem for the Momentive
For building and constructing tanks, you may want to use / try SCS1200. when I was looking, it was the easiest to find and a few Aquarium builders recommend it to me.

Last edited:

zoomster

GE silicone 1 is good but don't use silicone 2 Home hardware sells a tube of there name brand silicone for under $5 and it says right on the tube that it is OK for aquariums I never had a chance to use it though
I have used the home hardware " aquarium safe " silicone for years for all my overflow weirs, baffles, seal thread leaks and build custom frags tanks and sumps. Never had a single issue. Works well, cures well and doesn't appear to leach anything.
If it does, it has only helped my fish be healthy and my corals grow fast and colourful.
Not available in black though.
Just my .02$ here.