Reefers 135g Sps Dominated Reef.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Just purchased this 135 gallon from sherry today, single left side overflow. Will have a 30g sump underneath, hoping it will be big enough since my stand wont allow for much more unless i get it custom built, and right now thats not in the budget lol. Its going to have a 60" 8 bulb ATI for lights, and for now this Marine Sources skimmer i have, until i can afford a better quieter one. Not sure yet on a return yet or what i want to do since its not drilled for one and dont feel that comfortable doing it myself, might just do a hang over the side one. Any input on good returns, was thinking of buying brandons mag12, but needs to be internal and something that wont be electricity hungry. will this be plenty and some for reactors and what not. Any other input would be greatly appeciated since ive never plumbed a tank before. Thanks

Last edited:

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Not to sell my own product * rolls eyes* but a mag 12 would work perfectly, I can show you how to set up an over the back plumbing style return ( very very simple)
Mag12's are not the most efficient pump but they are still around for one reason, they are powerful and reliable.
I still use a mag 18 on my display. Quiet as a mouse ( despite what others may have experienced)

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Ill prolly still go that route for now maybe upgrade if felt needed in the future. Can you show me how to tee everything off properly for reactors and what not.
Is it possible to run a second tank beside the sump as a fuge? If so how would i do that?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
It will make it easier if the fuge tank is drilled. Or an external overflow box.

In my fuge I have about 5-6" of cr coral and some live rock and a bunch of macro algaes. And don't forget a light too.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Woo-hoo! Everyone is upgrading! It seems that the reefing season is officially in full swing :D. Glad to see you are finally doing the upgrade to a six footer, you've been talking about it for quite some time now. I'm sure your corals and fish will both appreciate the extra room. :) Excited to see how this turns out!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Not to up sell my self AGAIN hehe
But I have a 10g that's drilled with a bulkhead. It's also drilled up high in the corner, so it would only need to be 5" higher than your 30gallon sump.

I'm happy to draw you a diagram if you give me your dimensions under the Stand

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Not to up sell my self AGAIN hehe
But I have a 10g that's drilled with a bulkhead. It's also drilled up high in the corner, so it would only need to be 5" higher than your 30gallon sump.

I'm happy to draw you a diagram if you give me your dimensions under the Stand
That would work perfectly for you. Make a trip to see Brandon and grab the magdrive pump and tank. And you'll be set

curiousphil

Super Active Member
For the return, not sure what your plans are for the top of the tank and canopy etc, but something for consideration is an around the rim manifold. I think his might be the route I'm going with for my new build. Basically it's a big PVC rectangle that has many outlets. It sits on the rim of the tank and feeds the return from multiple positions. I'll see if I can dig up a bookmark... it's been many months since I read about this method, but it seemed like a good idea.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah phil, finally have a good replacement for that 180, grabbin the light this weekend, maybe do some of the plumbing tomorrow..Still cant decide if i want to use this dry rock or buy live tho...i dont have the space to cure it, or want to use that much water, nor do i want to wait that long lol. Yeah that does sound interesting phil, id love to check it out, maybe do something different.

Is 10g big enough for an efficient fuge?? I was thinking more along the lines of a 30g.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
For the return, not sure what your plans are for the top of the tank and canopy etc, but something for consideration is an around the rim manifold. I think his might be the route I'm going with for my new build. Basically it's a big PVC rectangle that has many outlets. It sits on the rim of the tank and feeds the return from multiple positions. I'll see if I can dig up a bookmark... it's been many months since I read about this method, but it seemed like a good idea.
this sounds very interesting Phil, I'd certainly like to read more about it.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yeah phil, finally have a good replacement for that 180, grabbin the light this weekend, maybe do some of the plumbing tomorrow..Still cant decide if i want to use this dry rock or buy live tho...i dont have the space to cure it, or want to use that much water, nor do i want to wait that long lol. Yeah that does sound interesting phil, id love to check it out, maybe do something different.

Is 10g big enough for an efficient fuge?? I was thinking more along the lines of a 30g.
if you have space for a 35g, i have one as well lol, standard 35gal size, is drilled in a side panel in the upper corner. hole has been sealed with a piece of glass and silicone but can easily be unsealed. ( i can even do it for you if you want)
i only want 30$ for that as well.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca

The larger the better.

I have a 2.5'X 1.5' fuge that I use for my 120dt and 65 frag tank and I'm keeping my nitrates well under 5ppm. And I feed my tank very heavy too. Also I'm not using any bio pellets or carbon dosing at all.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Here's a quick paint diagram I drew up for yea riley, not to scale of course but fairly simple
747aaeeb2ea6022c90d1f34f0d234206.jpg

Green return line can go anywhere of course, I just drew it over the side to show it better.