Retirement from Reefing

Ketoj

After over 50 years of reef keeping I've decided to move on. I've seen many changes, most of them good, since I began this hobby before anyone really knew much about saltwater tanks and especially corals. Clearly I will miss the hobby... However, I want to approach this retirement with the best interest of my current tank in mind and I welcome your sage advise. Should I try to sell the entire system as a whole or parse it out one occupant at a time and sell off the equipment in bits and pieces. Any thoughts from my fellow reef keepers? BTW, it's a mature AIO 16 gallon nano reef with two large and fully occupied live rocks and a pair of mocha clowns. One rock is covered with GSP, Zoas and a BTA, the other is covered in a large Goniaopora, Palys, Pulsing Zenias (who get regular haircuts) and two BTA's. An ATO and of course the most expensive item is the Maxspect Razor!

Attachments

• PXL_20220516_192611519.jpg
    PXL_20220516_192611519.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 93

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sorry to hear that you are stepping back from the hobby. As for the sell off, it really depends on your personal preference. You will typically get more in the long run if you part it out. However then you have to deal with all the different possible buyers and separate pick ups etc. Selling as a lot may or may not sell quicker, you most likely will get less funds as a lot but it is a lot less hassle then parting out. Personally I like to get more of a return, but I also would not like to watch it slowly empty over time.

Ketoj

Thanks for a logical approach. This is the direction i was leaning toward. Given my location (land of Letterkenny) selling it off a bit at a time could be brutal. Guess I'll advertise the whole enchilada... Any thoughts on best asking price that will make it move? I think $500 would be a great value to someone? Just the light replacement cost would be that.