Ro Maintenance Question

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I have a 5 stage RO unit need to maintain it.

What do I need to replace and at what intervals.

All the resin at the same time?
Carbon at the same time

Thanks for the information

Letsdiscus

I have a 5 stage RO unit need to maintain it.

What do I need to replace and at what intervals.

All the resin at the same time?
Carbon at the same time

Thanks for the information

U usually start with replace the first cartridge first which is the sediment filter.. Di resin u need to check the color chnge which depends whts the quality of ur water intake n how often u making ro water..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
U usually start with replace the first cartridge first which is the sediment filter.. Di resin u need to check the color chnge which depends whts the quality of ur water intake n how often u making ro water..

I've had the RO unit new for approximately a year and with everything original. TDS was always around 1 then just checked a week ago and it's 9 or 10

I make about 15 gallons a week

Hard lime Brantford water. I just had the filters and the colour changing resin deliver previous resin was not colour changing

I just don't want to use all the resin if it's not necessary but don't want to change half if it's best to change all at once (the coloured resin ain't cheap)

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Okay, I assumed that one pouch of resin was one tube, but one pouch was more than enough for the entire unit. I have more than enough left :) I guess I'll be changing more frequently.

Any preference with GAC filters? I replaced the other two.

Recommend how much water needs to be put through the unit before the water will be good?

Joshbrookkate

As I understand it, it's best to make a minimum of 30 gallons of RODI at one time to maximize the use of the unit and cartridges. I do that, storing the excess in 5 gallon jugs to be used as needed.

Letsdiscus

Okay, I assumed that one pouch of resin was one tube, but one pouch was more than enough for the entire unit. I have more than enough left :) I guess I'll be changing more frequently.

Any preference with GAC filters? I replaced the other two.

Recommend how much water needs to be put through the unit before the water will be good?

A best way to check health of ur rodi wud b to keep a close eye on the TDS meter if ur unit has one. Some come with 2 meters. One at the input and one on output.

If u dont have one then recomend buy a cheap TDS meter off ebay. U get many digital ones which will show u the TDs.

Steve Peters

I don't change the sediment filter until my pressure begins to drop. I change carbon filter about every 3 months. When you open up Di resin package, my understanding is it will quickly deteriorate once exposed to air so buy the packages that are enough to replace one canister. Saving small portions will not be beneficial as they expire. I make about 25 gallons/week. My DI lasts about 6-7 months. IME

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Me resin pack does the unit which it should, but I had no idea. Sealed bags as long as stored properly should last longer right?

I'm good to go now I Believe.

Finally got the refractometer calibration fluid and it was almost bang on with the reading. Then tested my tank salinity and it's perfect! I tested it twice because it was hard to believe that I had correct salinity. This summer has been brutal with evaporation and I figured I'd be out on salinity.

I have gfo and carbon for my reactor, but not sure I need to reimplement it. I have no algae issues or smell.