Rocks Are Curing, Which Test Kits Should I Get?

Easto

I have had my pukani curing since April while I await piecing together the rest of my equipment.

Last week I did a 100% water change as I moved the setup from my garage to my basement.

My stand is almost complete so I am close to getting started on the actual aquarium.
At this point, which test kits should I be getting to see if these rocks are ready?

Ammonia?
Nitrate?
Phosphate?

Which brand do you recommend? I am on the fence between Salfert and Red Sea right now.

BTW, I did a bleach bath and muriatic acid bath before putting the rocks in the water.

heath

Distinguished Member
that is a loaded question, is it just for testing the rock or when the tank is set up, what do you plan on keeping in the tank, mixed/fowlr/reef... test kits are a very personal thing (IMHO)both that you have mentioned are good test kits..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
For the cycle, test with a cheap API kit for ammonia and nitrate to track the cycle, pH is good to. It does not have to be perfectly accurate and you will be testing a lot.

For the rest of your tank, if you plan on a reef tank, then you need the basics, phosphate, nitrate, magnesium, calcium and alkalinity (kH). I use Redsea and they have been good to me. I use the Redsea algae control kit and the Redsea reef foundations kit.

heath

Distinguished Member
for the fowlr tank I use API, its just the basic's that I test for, in the coral/mixed tank I use Salifert test..both work for me.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I've never once tested for ammonia in my system and never plan to.

As Torx said. If you're just testing to see if the rocks are ready, then use cheaper ones like API. But if you're planning on using for your main system. Stick with either Red Sea or Salifert. I use Salifert myself.

Easto

I planned on getting all the test kits: ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, magnesium, calcium, etc.

So either Red Sea of Salfart it is then.

I plan on checking to see when my rocks are done which from what I understand is Ammonia and Nitrate. However, I'll then use the kits when my tank is up and running. It's my first run at SW so I am going to start with fish and after a few months I will add in some corals if things are going well.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Your rocks is phosphate. Your tank is the big 3. Ammonia. Nitrite. Nitrate.

For your tank when it's running see above answers.

I'd recommend some lanthanum chloride in your rock water. It will bind up the leached PO4 and turn it to a solid. Then more will leach.

I did this and after 2 skimmer less weeks I still barely have algae. SWEET

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I remember the lanthanum chloride being mentioned before, but don't remember the specifics, can you elaborate? where purchased and how to dose? Have a friend who is thinking about stripping and bleaching his rockwork

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i use api for calcium, carbonate hardness, nitrite and nitrate. salifert for magnesium and hanna checker for phosphates.... all is well for years