RODI back flush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoss

My post was saying that you actually don't pass any pre filters, you just remove the flow restrictor.

Reef Hero link said:
I have never flushed my membrane.......I change it every year.....

If you change it every year then a flush kit is probably no concern but were looking to get 3 or so years of life from our membranes. (what? I'm not cheap! :eek:)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Victoss link said:
Here's some RO/DI FAQ from Reef Central: http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/rodi-faq
The carbon, typically a block of powdered activated carbon, filters out smaller particles (ideally down to 1/2 micron or smaller), adsorbs some dissolved compounds, and deactivates chlorine. The latter is the most important part: free chlorine in the water will destroy the RO membrane.

With that said though a flush kit does not bypass the pre filters on our RODI units (at least not on the BRS units) but actually bypasses the flow restrictor on the waist line from the membrane letting a rush of water clear it off. So I don't think any damage is done.

that's kinda what I thought also.. i have the BRS flush setup that just bypass' the flow restrictor. which to me isn't really back flushing it.. your just rinsing it off more or less.. i had believed back flushing was considered hooking just the membrane up in reverse to flush the sediment out of the input side, if you google to flush your RO membrane or not theres a tonne of discussion on the subject.. a lot of people think its a bad thing.. a lot of people think its a good thing.. Personally im going to use the brs bypass type flush setup once a month on my new water system but for what its worth my old RODI unit i had never flushed it because there was no flush kit installed and it made no difference that way either..

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Victoss link said:
My post was saying that you actually don't pass any pre filters, you just remove the flow restrictor.

[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=3879.msg34496#msg34496 date=1356919230]
I have never flushed my membrane.......I change it every year.....

If you change it every year then a flush kit is probably no concern but were looking to get 3 or so years of life from our membranes. (what? I'm not cheap! :eek:)
[/quote]

Yes I know what you are saying, I was just simply stating that I don't like how it will also cause your prefilters to work too for water that is just used to rinse RO membrane....I change all my filters and media at specific intervals regardless of tds readings.....I like to be cheap too but I don't like to cheap out on this part :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.