RTN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Recently had my first experience with RTN.  Nothing too serious but a nice blue and green Acro frag that I got along with a few other things..

Put in the tank and after a few days it had colored up nicely and good PE except at the tip which was just a little pale.  A couple of days later the top 1/4" had shed its flesh but the rest of the piece still looked great, so I assumed that it had just gotten damaged through handling. Then a couple more days and when I came home from work all that was left was a skeleton with some strings of flesh waving in the current.

Ok so now I get that the Rapid is really RAPID...

My question is: When the tip shed, should I have cut the frag off below the area of tissue loss to stop the spread?  Could that have helped save the piece or was it already over?

All of the other pieces added are fine, no issues, healthy, growing...

harleymike

Super Active Member
I recently got a piece. After I put it in the tank I noticed the top part of one tip shed its skin.
I cut that piece off and now the rest has been fine so far. That was 4 or 5 days ago.

Mike

spyd

Super Active Member
It is definitely all ways better to chop off the affected area. If you see RTN at the base, then salvage what you can from the top of the coral. Make sure to cut all the RTN'd area off completely. Sometimes it saves the coral, sometimes the damage is all ready done.

I had a beautiful Pink Milli that I grew from a frag from Darryl. It got to a nice 4 - 5" diameter in my old tank. When I moved it into the new tank, it RTN'd on me at the base. I cut it and remounted. Not 3 days later did it RTN again... So after several cuts, I am now down to a 1/4" frag on a plug... But that frag has been holding for 4 months now. LOL. I loved the colour so I am glad I was able to salvage something from it. Just needs a good 5 years to grow into what it was this time around.  ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.