Rubber Rubber And More Rubber

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
so ever since i started ive been using neoprene mouse pads under my skimmer and return pump to cut out any vibration noise transferring through and they have worked pretty good but im gonna make some custom ones out of my liquid rubber stuff since i can create any thickness i want and it is food grade material once cured. im just trying to put the word out there so if it actually works as good as i hope i can make them for members as well so for the moment just checking interest but will let ya all know how it works out...... oh by the way yvette i forgot tosend pics but coating branches worked like a charm and supplier informed me since you rinse them off after bleaching it will have zero effect on the rubber

jroovers

Super Active Member
Sounds promising to me. I used old yoga matting, but something a little more custom would be nice... if they work out, I'd likely take two, one for my skimmer pump and one for my return.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
im bringing more rubber from supplier tomorrow so will make a couple and let you know how it goes will prob make them 10"x10" and you can just cut them to needed size with scissors or ezacto knife... gonna try for 1/4" and 1/2" thick see if any noticeable difference and compare to neoprene no point of wasting material if both thicknesses are the same.... but like i stated for yvette it is also great for making custom washable tank ornaments of your own

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
its more how cost effective it will be if neoprene does the same or better then not worth while but we will see.... im also hoping they will stick to the glass in place unlike neoprene that floats

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
first layer of rubber pad complete gotta wait for it to dry then do a second coat because over a 1/4" thick and it wont fully cure.... heres inside my stand 3/4 painted with three small coats using a brush and is solid white no wood colour bleedthrough.....
20150203_130642.jpg 20150203_130633.jpg
i now never have to think of mold or mildew forming in there plus will stop wood from absorbing odours

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
so the anti vib pads are a no go they are doable but a big PITA to make so im sticking to neoprene for now..... on the other hand im tempted to make a plywood sump and coat the inside of it.... one day ill get to try and build a concrete shark tank with a glass front but thats way way wayyyyy down the road lol come on lotto max

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Hmmmm. Concrete turtle tank up your ally for practise?

i just like to build stuff thats why i became a contractor.... ran out of possibilities with lego so had to grow up lol :) whatcha thinkin for a turtle tank? you want a see through front or a turtle pond? i can build pretty much anything you can think of its just a matter of material cost but something cool like that gets free labour

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
IMG_20150216_194526.jpg
finally stopped being lazy and finished my stand inside... jeffs coating the inside of his canopy and yvette is going to make some custom decorations. i cant wait to see what gets made.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
we now have a new rubber for floors that is not tacky at all and works great for basement floors or basins fully tintable and food grade safe with zero voc technical data sheets are on the company website along with pics of jobs we have done

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Okay thanks, I felt it this morning and it felt tacky but maybe that's just the way it always feels? I coated it on Sunday. I want to do another coat this weekend when I get time.