salt brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaked

im using normal instant ocean getting it for 22 dollars a bag
any thing wrong with instant ocean?
should i add reef crystals made by the same company too ?

Z

ZAX

i am no pro myself but isn't reef crystals just another brand of salt mixture? Instant ocean is supposed to be lower in salts than some kinds but depending on what you got in your tank whether it is fine or not. Was told myself that unless you got a whole bunch of corals, especially hard corals, instant ocean is fine. Some people have to add calcium when using it.

S

shayneh

Reef Crystals is made by the same company as Instant Ocean but the levels of Calcium and Magnesium are higher. This saves some of the expense of dosing since it costs anywhere from $20-60 just to elevate the calcium levels in a bucket of instant ocean (not counting magnesium). The formulations from bucket to bucket of Reef Crystals are also a lot more consistent compared to I.O. and this helps greatly when you have lps and sps. There is nothing wrong with I.O. but when you start keeping corals and find you have to check dose and recheck (and sometimes repeat) every time to make sure your Ca and Mg are correct it becomes much more convenient to spend the money up front and be done with it. Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.