Salt Storage

Canadianeh

How long you can store salt for? Will it expire?
Is it bad when they turn hard? I just got new Aquaforest reef salt came sealed in the box dated dec 2015 and it is hard.

Is this bad salt?

heath

Distinguished Member
I am sure that it will be fine but, I would be contacting the seller and advising them that its expired.. maybe some else that knows that salt can chime in...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hard is no good. Once it meets with water and hardens certain chemicals in the salt bind and will not dissolve properly. I do not know all the details, someone else posted a nice write up on it a while ago. It is fine for a FOWLR, but I would not use that rock for a reef.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Stnbrgn

I buy aquaforest salt two boxes at a time which usually last me a month per box. I transfer to buckets as soon as I get it to prevent any moisture from ruining the salt.

Canadianeh

I buy aquaforest salt two boxes at a time which usually last me a month per box. I transfer to buckets as soon as I get it to prevent any moisture from ruining the salt.

Your tank must be bigger than mine. Mine is only 40 gallon and it will take 34 weekly water changes to finish one box.
My plan is to buy food grade 5 gallon bucket and lid with rubber seal from home depot and transfer it to the bucket.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Your tank must be bigger than mine. Mine is only 40 gallon and it will take 34 weekly water changes to finish one box.
My plan is to buy food grade 5 gallon bucket and lid with rubber seal from home depot and transfer it to the bucket.
I'm sure there is a fellow reefer around that has stacks of instant ocean buckets around to give away....

Stnbrgn

Yeah I have a 400 gallon system and change 44G a week, mixed to 1.026. If you haven't bought any buckets yet post on the for sale forum for anyone with buckets they aren't using, I'm sure you could find some for free in your area.

Canadianeh

Yeah I have a 400 gallon system and change 44G a week, mixed to 1.026. If you haven't bought any buckets yet post on the for sale forum for anyone with buckets they aren't using, I'm sure you could find some for free in your area.

I saved the hassle food grade buckets from home depot. Only $12 tax in for two buckets. :)

Canadianeh

so the store that I am dealing with just got more stocks on 25kg Aquaforest Reef salt, and they are also hard.

I think is has something to do with the box. Aquaforest use cardboard box for 25 kg salt, and use bucket for smaller size.

nevek67

I buy instant Ocean Orange box and I have never had this problem. I usually put 2 bags into a bucket 1 box lasts me a long time, I do a water change every 2 weeks of 25 gallons.
I did pick up a box used by someone and one bag had been opened and had hard spots, I broke up the hard spot and mixed it with some fresh salt, I didn't notice any difference in my water chemistry.