School Project, Mini Marine Biologists In The Making

Troy

Where to start…. (Apologies, this is a lengthy read and my grammar is that of an accountant)

I have a dream… simple, to have a huge display tank that is fully self-monitoring.

I know not completely possible but that is my end goal. So I have to start somewhere. I have recently been acquiring pieces to the puzzle and making some great contacts.

Backstory:

I have managed marine tanks off and on over the last 20 years. 6 years ago I forcibly shut down my 75 mixed reef and recently started a nano tank (not any easier than maintaining my 75g). My wife runs a private primary/pre-school and we(me) wants to setup a display tank that the children can participate and learn/study marine life, marine biologists in the making. The children, through research, will decide what to fish and corals to add to the tank. The budget is limited and the system will grow as the budget and knowledge base grows. It is my dream, therefore I am heavily invested in making this happen. I want to ensure that the bones I start with are able to handle any future upgrades.

I have been researching and found that there are several schools state side that are already doing this, and though supplier sponsorship and discounts have been able to create thriving systems that have even been able to create small levels of revenues to support upkeep costs by having annual sales of excess donated equipment and livestock sales.

We are starting out with a tank in the Library, with future plans on building a wall unit in the main hallway connecting to a storage room that will serve as the “fish room” (she doesn’t know this yet, but it is going to happen). The boiler room will host the water making station, This serves 2 purposes, all the plumbing a drainage necessary is already installed and it is always warm in there during the winter, therefore no heating of the water required, plus there is room for 2 huge storage tanks (possibly with the capability to sell water to local reefers in the future).

What I have today:

I am starting off by setting up my old 75g system. I have the basics to keep it up and running.

- 75g tank x/ corner overflow
- 30g makeshift sump
- 2 - 4ft reef brite LED’s
- Vertex skimmer
- 100ish lbs of dry rock,
- 4 stage RODI filter
- Many misc items collected of the years (I just pulled all the equipment out, happy weekend to me, I guess I was in a rush to put it away. It is filthy and salt encrusted, hopefully most of it still works) Pics coming if I don’t smash it all.

- The help of fellow TFT members
- Used Bashsea sump, skimmer and reactor (from @Matt1997, long drive but worth the deal) I have no idea the size without going and measuring, but this is future use and the sump and equipment are far too large for my 75g.

I will have questions and I know the TFT community will be supportive. I will be continually searching the “For Sale” post for great deals. I look forward for the future conversations with the community on plans and solutions. Anyone one out there that has extra equipment and supplies that they are looking to get rid of, I know we will be able to put it to future use as many science projects will come as a result of this.

We have begun to draft up a letter to send to suppliers looking for donations and discounts as suggested by my contact stateside that has setup over 15 different schools with this type of program.

Any local stores and/or community members willing to help, we will proudly accept the help and mention your businesses. As this is a private run school many of the students will likely be looking to setup marine tank in their homes, they have to buy equipment from somewhere. I have already had conversations with Ian at Sustainable Marine Canada to gather some larger more expensive items. Hopefully going to make a trip up to see the shop soon.

I plan on setting up and starting the cycle in the next few weeks. I am going to do my best to post updates. The children and homeroom teacher are on board, so I can’t wait.

Future purchases:

Water mixing satiation – I need to ensure that I have ample supply as this was always one of the more difficult areas of upkeep when I had previously had my setup. Being in Niagara, the closest retailers are 45 mins away.

Proflux Control system – I want to have a solid controller to manage as much as possible. There just happen to be an active TFT member and retailer relatively close by.

Larger tank, 500g is the dream but why stop there.

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is an absolutely amazing thing to read. So glad to see 2 retailers already stepping up to help. Great choice on the GHL controller and the Bashsea equiptment. I currently use the GHL P4 and Bashsea Twisted Skimmer 6-30. IIRC, that Bashsea system you purchased actually contains my blue Bashsea Twisted 6-24 skimmer. It was a great skimmer, only reason I upgraded was because I am hoping to add more water volume down the road. You are right, it is an amazing deal.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Matt1997

The sump you bought was 48x14x16” tall. It was daisy chained with another sump of similar gallons that served as a refugium. The skimmer you have is rated at 210 gallons I believe. Reactor similar rating. Based off of the size of it, it will run a lightly to moderately stocked 300 gallon tank. I know where you can get a tank roughly 500 gallons in the future. We have an upcoming 8x4x2 acrylic. I have a 120 gallon plastic barrel you can take as well, was once the worlds largest smoothie. If you make a complete list on what you are looking for it may be easier. I know it’s a bit of a drive. There is a member over on GTA aquaria selling a very nice 320 gallon glass tank by miracles full setup. PM me and I can get you in touch with him.

Troy

Thank you, budget wise I'm stalled at the 75g for now. Summer is the worst time for cash flow but I want to have the tank cycled for the beginning of September. I am spending the weekend to go through my old equipment to see what is still working. There may be some "looking for" request coming in the near future.

So today I rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed my old sand and crushed coral. As I'm a straining the sand, I see all the hundreds of dollars spent on crabs and snails over the years. Then I started to remember all those long lines at Big Al's on Boxing day whether it was Hamilton , Mississauga or the old Oakville store, same long lines and directed parking. I only ever bought snails during boxing day sales, to damn expensive any other time back in the day.

I am working on my cell phone picture taking, so far not great. I cant even tell what I was taking pictures of at this point. Not that I am that old, but I have never taken a selfie to improve my skills. How do you upload pictures anyways? I have everything on onedrive but it only seems to post an error message.

Busy weekend, more to come.

Last edited:

Troy

AF1QipNbMBLJ0GjnGMPAwmUgWsREDz2T2fJIAPQFhU2V

Troy

So I finally uploaded some pictures, sorry for the lack of quality.

Here is what it looked like before my weekend started.
IMG_20180629_1746250.jpg IMG_20180629_1746326.jpg IMG_20180629_1747074.jpg IMG_20180702_1044349.jpg IMG_20180702_1054556 (1).jpg

Troy

I have have looked through my equipment and I decided that I would like to upgrade my stand and sump before I get started.

So I am looking for a stand that will hold a 75G tank and and sump, tank is 48"L x 18"W x 21"D . I would also like a sump that is 30-36"x 14-16", if there is anything out there let me know.

Items that I could really use to get started:
- Circulation pumps (ones I have are no longer grounded)
- Auto top off unit
- water mixing station diagram
- A good place to buy the proper sized plumbing, don't think Lowes has what I need.
- more time in a long weekend

Winks

Website Affiliate
When I was looking for plumbing fittings, I found that the places that sell in ground pools had lots of stock for elbows, tees, ball valves, couplings and pretty much anything that you might need. They also deal with 1/2", 3/4", 1" 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and I would think 2 and 2 1/2 if needed. The pool shops in my area were very reasonably priced also.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
For plumbing I always use a local bathroom plumbing place called Chatham Plumbing. They specialize in bathrooms but are an all around plumbing supply store. I found their selection bigger and most even cost less then the big box stores. I am sure you probably have something similar in the area. Hopefully someone in the Niagara area steps up. @BIGSHOW used to have lots in stock, but their is nothing on his site right now. Reefsupplies.ca is great and cheap if you know what you want and ordering enough for free shipping. They currently have a reduced subtotal for free shipping.

Troy

Just placing an order for new DsunY's 3 panel plus controller and all the brackets, for $340USD shipped. I am very pleased with my lights on my nano and the price fits my budget. They are also very good to deal with.

Anyone else interested in putting in an order let me know i can add it to my order. It will come with free 2 day shipping to Niagara. All you need to do is cover the lights and duties.

Troy

Slow going over the last few weeks. Painted stand, it is now "wife " approved. Ordered all my 3/4" fittings.

Now I need to cut 2 - 1.5" holes in my glass for return bulkheads. How easy it is to cut the glass? And, where can i get the drill bits? Am I best to take it to a glass shop to drill?

Now location of the return holes. When I had the tank running in the past I just hung the tubing over the top of the tank. That worked for me but it was not "wife" approved, so i going to put them through the tank, less mess and out of sight. I noticed that I did not have great water circulation, so I decided to go with 2 holes. Will this help? or should I just keep the one hole?

The tank has a corner overflow on the right side, therefore I was going to put one on the far left, using loc-line splitting it up to flow towards the front and diagonal towards the far corner. The second one on the right next to the overflow pointed down behind the rock work where I have historically had dead zones.

I am also open to suggestions on the circulation pumps, size and location. i plan on having rock work piled on both sides with a large cave in the middle area.

Troy

Busy weekend. Picked up a used sump and it came it with a 110g tank. First big decision, use the 110 48x18x24 or the 75 48x18x18?

What return flow do i need for the 110, I currently have and Ehiem 1262, 2 x Mag 9.5 and and Mag 12(came with the Bashsea skimmer)? Not sure what one to use for the return, all have 3/4 plumbing so luckily that doesn't have to change with potential new setup.

Also what will I need for circulation pumps? i worried about dead spots in the 110g since it is much taller than the 75g. i had a hard enough time with them on the 75. i hopign better planning will yield better results.

lighting is on its way 3 panel DsunY with controller total 495w, should be powerful enough for the 110g.

And, do we have any local Niagara folks that want to lend me some live rock or seeding? or sell me some really cheap. i have destroyed my budget. I really need this to be cycled by September.

Troy

Tanks wet starting the cycle. No leaks. Picking up some live rock tomorrow along with making the trip out the SMC tomorrow. Lots of questions Mastercard in hand . I'm assuming after I get some suggestions from Ian, my invoice will not be only $100.

First I have ever used my pump external. Plumbing is a little wonky, need to add another value after the pump.

Rock work needs to be done but I wanted to get everything in the rank and live before I worry about scaping.
39d2b07eee103e407589e96c74d86627.jpg

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Troy

Stopped by Sustainable Marine yesterday. Great to meet Ian and see the shop. Pick up a few new toys. Added 40 lbs of live rock, full of sponges and life. Even got my first hitchhiker, small red mushroom.
52e6ff890474da6521d0a52187d09306.jpg
79bef96db0ccaab791b58df13a4a7604.jpg

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Winks

Website Affiliate
The Maxpext Duo looks like a very versatile pump. The price shocked me though. It's really not that expensive for the versatility it has. I am on the fence also! Your tank is coming together nicely. Must be a good feeling to have it up and running in time for school.

Troy

Tank is shaping up nicely. I should have some of the children in this week to help with the rock formations. The live rock I have has tons of life in it. I now have a few starfish , hermit crabs, and worms roaming around the tank.

So glad I grabbed that pump. My Mag Drive finally gave out after 20 years. Testing the sump capacity and I plugged it back it in and no noise, the silence only meant one thing, and it was not that the rattle was finally gone.

Only problem with the pump is that it only has flex line attachments. Another trip to Lowes with my fish pump in hand to see what will fit. The looks I get when I ask for help for my aquarium....