Seahorses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Hello All,

I am just about to make an order for some sea horses and I was wondering what kind of interest is out there for them.  I have three types available to me.

Hippocampus Kuda
Hippocampus Comes
Hippocampus Hystrix

Thanks for viewing
Aaron

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
yveterinarian link said:
Hi Aaron:

Will they be tank raised or True Captive bred?  Where will they be coming from?
They are coming from Vietnam.  I believe captive bred but I will have to double check to make sure.  I will get back to you

mark0933

histrix is not a common import - will have to do some research.  Comes have had problems from Vietnam I recall.  Kuda are the "standard" brought in from Vietnam - easier horse but source is not the best.

I'd say Histrix if you could actually get them in.

Mark

PS - idea on price?  I have a 90G that needs some occupants :)

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
mark0933 link said:
histrix is not a common import - will have to do some research.  Comes have had problems from Vietnam I recall.  Kuda are the \"standard\" brought in from Vietnam - easier horse but source is not the best.

I'd say Histrix if you could actually get them in.

Mark

PS - idea on price?  I have a 90G that needs some occupants :)
We brought in Kudas back in December and as far as I know all are doing well.
The price depends on size but smalls would be around 60 nd mediums would be around 70 IIRC. I will have to check my shipping costs again to make sure on actual price.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=yveterinarian link=topic=4600.msg43275#msg43275 date=1362452105]
Hi Aaron:

They are coming from Vietnam.  I believe captive bred but I will have to double check to make sure.  I will get back to you
[/quote]I just heard back from the company and They are Tank Bred as they put it.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4600.msg43277#msg43277 date=1362452266]
Hi Aaron:

[/quote]I just heard back from the company and They are Tank Bred as they put it.
[/quote]

Thanks Aaron:

I thought that's what they would be because I haven't heard of any True Captive Bred coming out of Vietnam.  The ones I would be interested in are the H. Histrix but haven't made up my mind yet because of the 9 week de-worming protocol that they must go through if not True Captive Bred.  Tank Bred uses ocean water instead of making up their own saltwater so they are very prone to worms in the intestinal tract.  I have to do some soul searching and decide if I want to start a whole new tank up for them (I have one but would need to buy a few essential pieces of equipment).
Kudos for trying to get in some different breeds because we haven't had variety in Canada for a while.  I'll let you know in a few days after my soul searching is done  :)

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
yveterinarian link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4600.msg43363#msg43363 date=1362501672]
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4600.msg43277#msg43277 date=1362452266]
Hi Aaron:

[/quote]

Thanks Aaron:

I thought that's what they would be because I haven't heard of any True Captive Bred coming out of Vietnam.  The ones I would be interested in are the H. Histrix but haven't made up my mind yet because of the 9 week de-worming protocol that they must go through if not True Captive Bred.  Tank Bred uses ocean water instead of making up their own saltwater so they are very prone to worms in the intestinal tract.  I have to do some soul searching and decide if I want to start a whole new tank up for them (I have one but would need to buy a few essential pieces of equipment).
Kudos for trying to get in some different breeds because we haven't had variety in Canada for a while.  I'll let you know in a few days after my soul searching is done  :)
[/quote]Good information I did not know about the deworming process.  I have asked them if they use new saltwater or ocean water just to clarify with them.  I also have to have this order in by today but I can probabaly push it to tomorrow.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Just got to this post Aaron

I would like to take 2 pairs of H. Histrix (medium, not small as they have a better chance of survival)  if I haven't missed the order.

If you would like info on the de-worming process I can give it to you so you can pass it on to new seahorse keepers.  They probably also need treatment for internal and external parasites if they used ocean water. It would be great if they used new saltwater but generally Tank raised means bred and raised in aquariums but using ocean water as their water source.  Pen raised are raised in pens in the ocean.
Please let me know if the order goes in so I can start preparing for my new additions.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
yveterinarian link said:
Just got to this post Aaron

I would like to take 2 pairs of H. Histrix (medium, not small as they have a better chance of survival)  if I haven't missed the order.

If you would like info on the de-worming process I can give it to you so you can pass it on to new seahorse keepers.  They probably also need treatment for internal and external parasites if they used ocean water. It would be great if they used new saltwater but generally Tank raised means bred and raised in aquariums but using ocean water as their water source.  Pen raised are raised in pens in the ocean.
Please let me know if the order goes in so I can start preparing for my new additions.
I just heard back from them and it is seawater.  I haven't put the order in yet as I have till tomorrow.  Waiting to see if Mark wants any as well.  I will be ordering some for the store to sell as well.  I would love the information on how to deworm them.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Hi Aaron:  Thanks for the response.  Here is it deworming protocol as recommended by Seahorse.org for any Wild caught, Pen Raised or Tank raised seahorses.  It is a three part process using each medication for three weeks.  Gut loading the adult brine shrim works the best.  Feel free to print this out if needed.

METRONIDAZOLE Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Metronidazole
Indication: flagellates and other internal parasites
Brand Names: Metro+, Metro-Pro, Metronidazole, Metro-MS, Flagyl. Flagyl is available by prescription
from your local veterinarian.
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Metronidazole to the Seahorse.
Repeat for a total of 3 weeks.
• If using tablets, crush one tablet into a fine powder. If using powder, dose 1/4tsp.
• Add the Metronidazole to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the
mixture for at least 2hrs.
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.
• Observe the Seahorse to be certain it is eating the adult brine shrimp.

PRAZIQUANTEL Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Praziquantel
Indication: worms and other internal parasites
Brand Names: PraziPro, Praz-Tastic, Praziquantel
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Praziquantel to the Seahorse.
• Add 10ml (~2tsp) of Praziquantel to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.

FENBENDAZOLE (granules) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Fenbendazole
Brand Names: Panacur, Safe-Guard
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Fenbendazole to the Seahorse.
• Purchase Fenbendazole granules available as 1gm packets.
• Thoroughly mix a single 1gm packet (~1/4tsp) into one gallon (~4 liters) of water. Please note that the
granules will not completely dissolve.
• This mixture will produce 222mg of Fenbendazole per gallon of water.

FENBENDAZOLE (liquid) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: 10% Fenbendazole
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Fenbendazole to the Seahorse.
• Add ~250mg (2ml or ~1/2 tsp) of the Fenbendazole mixture to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix
thoroughly.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Forgot to ask.  When you put in the order tomorrow, how long does it usually take before they arrive?  I hope Mark also orders them so we can compare notes on their keeping because not much is written about keeping this breed.  fabulous challenge!!

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
yveterinarian link said:
Hi Aaron:  Thanks for the response.  Here is it deworming protocol as recommended by Seahorse.org for any Wild caught, Pen Raised or Tank raised seahorses.  It is a three part process using each medication for three weeks.  Gut loading the adult brine shrim works the best.  Feel free to print this out if needed.

METRONIDAZOLE Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Metronidazole
Indication: flagellates and other internal parasites
Brand Names: Metro+, Metro-Pro, Metronidazole, Metro-MS, Flagyl. Flagyl is available by prescription
from your local veterinarian.
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Metronidazole to the Seahorse.
• If using tablets, crush one tablet into a fine powder. If using powder, dose 1/4tsp.
• Add the Metronidazole to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.

PRAZIQUANTEL Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Praziquantel
Brand Names: PraziPro, Praz-Tastic, Praziquantel
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Praziquantel to the Seahorse.
• Add 10ml (~2tsp) of Praziquantel to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.

FENBENDAZOLE (granules) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Fenbendazole
• Purchase Fenbendazole granules available as 1gm packets.
• Thoroughly mix a single 1gm packet (~1/4tsp) into one gallon (~4 liters) of water. Please note that the
granules will not completely dissolve.
• This mixture will produce 222mg of Fenbendazole per gallon of water.

FENBENDAZOLE (liquid) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: 10% Fenbendazole
• Add ~250mg (2ml or ~1/2 tsp) of the Fenbendazole mixture to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix
thoroughly.
Thanks for the readings.  I have a question about it.  There is a product made by API that is both metro and prazi.  Could this be used together in conjunction to speed up the process?  Also the order is due to arrive April 3rd but I wouldn't put it past them to be a week late.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thanks for the readings.  I have a question about it.  There is a product made by API that is both metro and prazi.  Could this be used together in conjunction to speed up the process?  Also the order is due to arrive April 3rd but I wouldn't put it past them to be a week late.

I'm not sure but I can ask and let you know.

mark0933 link said:
I'd be in for at least a pair of Hystrix.  Yvette, what temp have you found on them?  I found 69-72 (subtropical)?

Mark

That's what I could figure out from anything I found to read.  I will most likely keep mine at 70F or maybe even 69F and, of course I need to buy another chiller.  Also, since they get to 6.8" adult length, I'm going with the 29 gallon for first pair with 15 gal more for each subsequent pair rule.  Luckily, I have a 65 gal tank I can put them in.  Now to go shopping for the rest of the things!  I love setting up new tanks.  :)  When you get yours, would you be interested in a joint thread where we can compare notes?

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I have also asked them to make sure they can send me "pairs"  I don't want them to show up and be all males.  I will let you know tomorrow. They have been really good with responding...

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Aaron:  Found out that the medications can't be combined because they work on different stages of the worm's lifecycle so should be given one after the other to get the best benefit.  Do you have the products separately?  Obviously, I will need to purchase these meds so if you have some, I am interested.  My Vet will get me whatever you don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.