Seahorses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
yveterinarian link said:
Aaron:  Found out that the medications can't be combined because they work on different stages of the worm's lifecycle so should be given one after the other to get the best benefit.  Do you have the products separately?  Obviously, I will need to purchase these meds so if you have some, I am interested.  My Vet will get me whatever you don't have.
Ok Thank you for looking into it. I guess I am a typical guy trying to always find the easy way lol.  We usually have metro and prazipro. I will have to look and see if I can get Fenbendazole.

I have one last question. How would one know if they did have worms? The previous seahorses I brought in are all still doing fine.  Is this just precaution? Or is there an actual way to find out. 

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
Ok Thank you for looking into it. I guess I am a typical guy trying to always find the easy way lol.  We usually have metro and prazipro. I will have to look and see if I can get Fenbendazole.

I have one last question. How would one know if they did have worms? The previous seahorses I brought in are all still doing fine.  Is this just precaution? Or is there an actual way to find out. 

The usual sign of worms is white, stringy feces.  Often the sides are sunken in but sunken sides are also a sign of malnutritiion so that symptom can't be used exclusively.  Seahorses should be plump with no caved in areas between the body plates.The majority of seahorses that have been raised with Sea water have worms.  Deworming just helps them live longer and be healthier.  Many times the effects of the worms don't show up until later, maybe a couple of months or more after purchase so the common rule is to deworm, then you have the best chance of long term survival.  The Org told me to do a Freshwater dip (pH and temperature matched) first to remove any external parisites then put them into a quarantine tank to let them acclimatize and become less stressed for a week or so, and to observe.  It also gives time to feed them a better diet and get them stronger before the deworming protocol.  The medications are only to be given twice for one day each week.  (I read it wrong so I thought I'd point it out in case you did as well). 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
yveterinarian link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4600.msg43740#msg43740 date=1362663032]

The usual sign of worms is white, stringy feces.  Often the sides are sunken in but sunken sides are also a sign of malnutritiion so that symptom can't be used exclusively.  Seahorses should be plump with no caved in areas between the body plates.The majority of seahorses that have been raised with Sea water have worms.  Deworming just helps them live longer and be healthier.  Many times the effects of the worms don't show up until later, maybe a couple of months or more after purchase so the common rule is to deworm, then you have the best chance of long term survival.  The Org told me to do a Freshwater dip (pH and temperature matched) first to remove any external parisites then put them into a quarantine tank to let them acclimatize and become less stressed for a week or so, and to observe.  It also gives time to feed them a better diet and get them stronger before the deworming protocol.  The medications are only to be given twice for one day each week.  (I read it wrong so I thought I'd point it out in case you did as well).
[/quote]Thank You for the info. I figured it would be something similar to when fish would have it.

Now on another note.  I regret to infor everyone that I can not get in the histrix as Vietnam does not have Cites for this type of horse.  I apologize for the time everyone has put into research them.  I have asked them to take them off the list as it would be illegal for me to get them.

Again I apologize

Aaron

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=yveterinarian link=topic=4600.msg43788#msg43788 date=1362690558]
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4600.msg43740#msg43740 date=1362663032]

[/quote]Thank You for the info. I figured it would be something similar to when fish would have it.

Now on another note.  I regret to infor everyone that I can not get in the histrix as Vietnam does not have Cites for this type of horse.  I apologize for the time everyone has put into research them.  I have asked them to take them off the list as it would be illegal for me to get them.

Again I apologize

Aaron
[/quote]Just to let you all know I am pretty disappointed about this...

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Me too Aaron.  Was getting excited about them.  Oh well, maybe they will apply for the CITES permit and expand their trade.  I was so looking forward to the challenge of a seahorse not usually offered in Canada.  Thanks for trying.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
yveterinarian link said:
Me too Aaron.  Was getting excited about them.  Oh well, maybe they will apply for the CITES permit and expand their trade.  I was so looking forward to the challenge of a seahorse not usually offered in Canada.  Thanks for trying.
They told me its not them that need to apply but the Government needs to allow them to be sold outside of Asia.  I guess I am glad I found out now and not 4 weeks from now when they were suppose to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.