Setting Up Qt Tank

Canadianeh

How do you set up your QT tank? Permanently (running 24/7) or only in emergency?

If I set it up permanently and runs 24/7, do I need to put some kind of livestock or plant in there? Or, do I just leave it empty but only saltwater? I figure if it is empty, then who will be producing the ammonia and etc. What do you guys do?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Leaving your qt dry until you need it is probably the easiest way.
Just do a wc on you dt and use that water to start the qt up. Also a bit of filter floss or a sponge that's been left in the filter of you dt will help kick start it as well.

Sony Xperia Z3

Canadianeh

so you keep your tank dry sitting somewhere covered up so that dust don't accumulate in it, and when you need QT tank for sick/new fish/coral you will get water from the main tank, then use a different powerhead/airstone bubbles, filter, skimmer, and heater?

There is a biocube14 (older version) in my LFS for $199, and I am thinking to use it for emergency QT tank. Or maybe a regular (not AIO) cheap tank is better but then I will need to hang the filter and skimmer outside the tank.

GanderGreg

Or would a little power head, heater and some rock from the sump work to run a qt?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

noobwithatank

I would think just the sponge from the DT. Maybe add some pvc for the fish to hide and swim as it won't absorb anything that you treat the tank with

heath

Distinguished Member
I should of elaborated, I keep sponges in the sump of my dt and on the qt I run an AquaClear 110 on a 30g with filter floss and I also run a power head and of course a heater...

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You don't want to use rocks from your sump or dt. Some medications will be absorbed by the rocks and you won't be able to add back into your sump/dt

Keep all your equipment for the qt separate from the dt. I say filter floss from the dt, because you can throw it out when you're done with the qt
Aqua clear filters are great for qt. They're easily cleaned, can use filter floss from the dt in them and also with the waterfall design. Helps break the water surface during quarantine. Which will help the dissolved oxygen level in the qt. As most meds will drop DO levels quickly.

Sony Xperia Z3

Canadianeh

Got it....I will built my QT tank list.....man...I thought shopping is over... LOL

I think Aquaclear 20 is better for me as I will be setting small QT tank

Canadianeh

Super easy and won't break the bank.
20g tank, glass lid, aqua clear filter, 75w heater, small air pump, air line, air stone and some 1+1/2" pvc pieces for hiding spots.
Done
Then any meds you'd need

Sony Xperia Z3

I will copy that list! Thanks Eric!

Which meds you recommend to have ready at all times? The brands and types please.

heath

Distinguished Member
You don't want to use rocks from your sump or dt. Some medications will be absorbed by the rocks and you won't be able to add back into your sump/dt

Keep all your equipment for the qt separate from the dt. I say filter floss from the dt, because you can throw it out when you're done with the qt
Aqua clear filters are great for qt. They're easily cleaned, can use filter floss from the dt in them and also with the waterfall design. Helps break the water surface during quarantine. Which will help the dissolved oxygen level in the qt. As most meds will drop DO levels quickly.

Sony Xperia Z3

I have been lucky so far, I have never had to add any meds....

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
A 5 gallon is probably too small as the ammonia will build up too quickly. Keep in mind that often times medications that you add will knock out your biological filter even if you add a sponge from your DT so you have to do frequent water changes. A 10 gallon is the minimum you should get in order to give the fish a bit of room to swim in as well.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
anyone use HOB filter with UV on QT tank? I found this product, and I am wondering how effective it is. Anyone is using it? Can you use it with medication prazipro or paraguard in water?

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquatop-AQUAT...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C947RC5R77X49QQ2N93N
I wouldn't use that. Use a regular hob filter.
Most medications will recommend shutting uv and carbon off during medicating the system.
Not to mention because of the density of salt water. Most uv sterilizers available for hobbyists are useless. Unless they're extremely high wattage and power.
Save your money and just get an aqua clear hob filter

Sony Xperia Z3

Canadianeh

I wouldn't use that. Use a regular hob filter.
Most medications will recommend shutting uv and carbon off during medicating the system.
Not to mention because of the density of salt water. Most uv sterilizers available for hobbyists are useless. Unless they're extremely high wattage and power.
Save your money and just get an aqua clear hob filter

Sony Xperia Z3

I already bought the Aquaclear one and am using it right now on my QT tank. I found the product and I thought it is a neat product, but not sure if it is more like a novelty item that has no effectiveness to what I want to accomplish in QT tank. I also read that water has to move slow enough for UV to be effective in killing parasite. Thanks man.