Setting Up Qt Tank

new2reefing

I have a 5 gallon tank i keep dry and covered. I currently use a AC70 on my display for carbon,gfo, and floss as well as ceramic rings and pumice stone. When i get a new fish i pull half the ceramic and pumice and set up the 5 gallon with the media in an AC 20, i use a small heater and a light and thats it. The ac20 circulates the water. If i need to medicate(havent had to yet) i would just chuck the media and swap to an amonia absorber media. If i dont medicate for the whole QT i dry out the media and rotate it in with the bucket of media i have on hand.
Takes me 30 min total to set up the qt.
I also use the DT water and count it as a bonus WC for the display.
My advice is buy the three pack of ceramic rings for the AC 20. Keep 2 always in your sump and 1 dry. When you do a qt you use one on your qt and put the 3rd bag in your sump. That way if you medicate you can toss one bag, and once your done medicating youll still have a fully seded bag ready to go, and one spare for next time.
Its also a good idea to have 2 heaters and 2 ac20's that way instead of medicating you can do the tank transfer method.
I use a 5 gallon tank and a 5 gallon bucket, but have 2 ac20's and 2 50w heaters.
You never need a skimmer or sump on a qt so i wouldnt waste any money on a full set up.
I do have a 54w led bulb from aliexpress incase i need to qt coral but otherwise the process is the same for me.
Also everything from my qt was bought used for $15 from a garage sale. Including both filters and heaters.

new2reefing

If you have sand in your display some people add a Tupperware container of their sand to their QT. If you medicate with anything, you'd then chuck it. Even if QT goes well and no issues arise, I would at least let it completely dry for a few weeks out of the tank before adding it back in, otherwise just chuck it.
That said, while it certainly does help certain fish that sleep in the sand (wrasses) I might not personally do it for gobies who sift sand, since they would still take prepared foods during your QT.