Showdown #1 (Getting Started)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill@IA

Goal; Getting Results with Lighting

Proposed contestants: L.E.D Aqua Illumination AI SOL Blue, L.E.D EcoTech Radion, Metal Halide (Aqua Medic 250 watt HQI with Optimized Reflector and Phoenix 14,000k bulb)

Showdown: Coral Growth and Colour for how much $$$ ?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
IS this apples to apples though.

Just meaning that the IA sol is only 75watts and the Ecotech radion is nearly double.  Both utilizing the same LEDs (with some added different colours in the radion).

B

Bill@IA

Darryl_V link said:
IS this apples to apples though.

Just meaning that the IA sol is only 75watts and the Ecotech radion is nearly double.  Both utilizing the same LEDs (with some added different colours in the radion).

Exactly. Yet at 100% AI Sol delivers high par at low wattage using optics. The Ecotech delivers less par, maybe better coverage or perhaps better spectrum?  Will they cream the popular HQI/Metal Halide?? When we set these up over identical coral in the same water and tune/raise/dim to the same par using an Apogee Quantum Meter.
Does coral under the Metal Halide, set up using the identical methods and water parameters ....lose??
How will the coral react??
Which will have better colour??
Can it be measured over time? Is it visible?? Will using an AI Vega make a difference?? Is this all about LED vs Metal Halide vs T5s??

I hope what we try here can clear up some confusion.

P

phi delt reefer

Darryl you point is one of the reasons Bill and I felt a par meter was needed. Bill spoke with the product techs at Apogee on how to compensate the calculations made by the meter to account for the blue spectrum that isnt correctly captured by the par meter. Gone are the days where you need X #of watts of light per gallon of water - the technology has changed so now there needs to be some better information on what are "equivalents".

we will be setting the lights up so the corals are under the lights in such a way where the par is exactly the same. Lights will be raised or lowered and intensities adjusted as need.  The tanks are all connected so water quality will be the same for all. We are even using the same powerhead in each tank to ensure the flow is the same as well. We are looking to see if there is actually a difference in terms of growth from the different bulb types and combinations.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
need a DIY fixture to show up all these commercial money makers :)
I volunteer phi's fixture

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
personally im interested in seeing a test that takes all three lights individually hung over your big tank( where the MH light is currently) that shows PAR values from the waterline down to the sandbed for each light running at max..

P

phi delt reefer

Duke link said:
personally im interested in seeing a test that takes all three lights individually hung over your big tank( where the MH light is currently) that shows PAR values from the waterline down to the sandbed for each light running at max..

consider it done Duke. One thing we want to make sure is that we answer questions other reef videos/articles may not have addressed. Not everything is possible (obviously) but we approaching this with a "can-do" attitude from all fronts.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
I think phi moved to Germany back in June.

Last I heard, he was working for a contract breath diving for free beer in Indonesia  ;D

20110702-P1010599.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.