Sick Cardinal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IrishPride

My Bangaii hasn't really shown interest in eating for the past two days and I am starting to think something is wrong.  He stays secluded in a very small section of the tank and doesnt move too far away. When it is feeding time it looks like he is interested but the food hits him and he will let it float on by....almost think he was blind.  He has nothing physically wrong that I can see.....any ideas?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i dont know much about the habits of that fish but have you tried soaking the food in a little garlic before feeding him? what are your feeding habits?daily? every other? 2 or 3 times a day?

I

IrishPride

I have my feedings on a tight schedule - twice a day.  I try very hard to error on the side of caution and am more than likely stingy on feedings as to not cause other issues.  I feed the fish Brine Shrimp and other fish I feed flakes.  The Cardinal oddly enough will usually eat both.  He is always pretty active at feeding times, but lately he isn't.  He knows there is food in the tank, but when it gets near him it is almost like he can't see it??  I don't think he's blind or anything as he doesn't bump into things...he just seems lazy.  Having not eaten in nearly two days now I'm starting to think he has some sort of disease or something???

I'll try the Garlic dip tonight.  I tried to feed by hand but he bolts away.  I don't want to stress him any further if something is wrong.... I've check water parameters and all good as well......

I've read things about mysterious deaths etc. and them being hard fish to look after but I've never had an issue.  I've had him for months and he is always very active - especially at feeding times.

:-[

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Dipping your fish in Garlic is a sure fire way to make sure he gets the recommended dose :)

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Do you have a pair in the tank?  This fish is a mouth brooder so if it is a male and you also have a female. It most likely is eggs in it's mouth.

I

IrishPride

I always though that about cardinals but I was told to only keep one Bangaii if they arent a maited pair??  was I mislead??

C

crazybizzle

ya u need a school pair they dont have to be a mated pair

Blob-79

Super Active Member
I dont really know anything about cardinals, other then what has already been said (mouth brooder)  But im fairly certain they do not have to be mated pairs. They are a schooling fish. the more the merrier

I

IrishPride

apparently I was misinformed by the store who sold them to me. I have had him for 3 months and no issues till now. I will pick him up a friend today and see what happens?

Appreciate the input everyone.

I

IrishPride

Google is an awesome resource isnt it?! I usually do before I get anything but the wife wanted that fish while I was at LFS for something else so I took their word. Stupid mistake on my part I know. I never really followed up until now. Was an impulse decision to keep the wife happy with my hobby and money really ...lol.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I only knew becuase my wife wants cardnals for our tank. I thought  I had a line up for some a while ago, but they fell through. We want at least 3 of the Banggai cardinalfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.