Silent Overflow Box

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
its been 2 years of me using an overflow box since my tank isnt drilled and for the most part a piece of tubing down the standpipe kept it quiet but a couple days ago i made a tiny and simple insert that takes away all gurgle and flushing sound and my overflow box is as quiet as a bean animal how sweet is that.... dont believe it pop by its staying this way and will even restart without flooding double bonus :)
20150222_104214.jpg
Mod i made
IMG_20150222_104353.jpg
Approximately 1/16" gap between pvc and standpipe wall
IMG_20150222_104439.jpg
Working in all it glory am still shocked its dead silent

sunnykita

Super Active Member
great work ! my mind is whirling, I have an overflow unit here that might work on a tank, I might have to have you take a look at it sometime and see if it's worth doing anything with. Could pssibly use it on the 50 gallon tank. I picked it up with some other stuff I bought for peanuts, but it has a seam that needs fixing and I'm really not sure how it works. LOL
It's nice to see all the DIY stuff that helps us keep the costs down ! thanks for sharing Steve

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
So basically the new U that you put in there becomes a full siphon on start up and the rest is a trickle? Very interesting idea and interested to see how it works over time with starts and stops. Great idea.
so far ive stopped and restarted 6 times and dropped some nori and pellets to try and clog it and nope... had to be sure before bed :) 1/2" pvc and a couple elbows would prob work i just used what i had laying around.... techically i could add an emerg if i really wanted to on the back or side wall. Maybe another day.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
ya i dont have to worry because my j goes to almost the bottom of the external box a good 4" deep where as upstand only reaches 1" under standpipe...... but i know how some models are with very short j's. i dont want someone saying wtf it didnt restart lol

Tdizz

I would love to come by and check out how this works!
I need to add something to my tank - as it isn't drilled and I want to add a sump really badly! Let me know if I can come and check your setup.
Thx