Skimmer delay

Eggboy

Besides an apex or buying a $60 reef octopus delay plug does anyone have any other ideas/options/diy way to delay skimmer from starting up after power outage or shut off? When the power goes out or I shut my pumps off to feed coral or clean or water change or…. the water all runs into sump which raises the water level higher in sump which when power is restored and skimmer turns on again it immediately overflows the skimmer cup which is no big deal when I am right there and remember to quickly hit the feed or power mode buttons on the skimmer for half a minute until water level in sump returns to normal but if you are not there to do so it makes a mess and or dilutes and then flows all skimmate back into sump, I am sure most have experienced this so looking to see what others have done to fix this - thanks

Anthony

If you want to get a bit more nerdy. Check out home assistant (free but you need something to run it on, 10 year old laptop works fine). Esp-12 ($3 on eBay) a float switch ($2 on eBay) and the smart switch.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I think you are pretty limited for sure. Your easiest, cheapest and best option would be the delay plug. @Neopimp has a DIY somewhere on one he made, but that is on the techy side and would probably cost close to the same.

There are things like this, but definitely at user risk.

Eggboy

Thanks , the thing I do not like about the reef octopus plug is it resets after 5 minutes and not adjustable, if I am away my wife will not listen the the tunze ato blaring alarm for 5 minutes until the skimmer kicks back on and uses that last precious inch of water in the sump, she would pull every plug or smash the tank first , the manual reset plug would not work if we were both away say for a week vac and then no skimmer for a week +/- , same for the smart plug if no one around to voice command it back on, no one home to care/hear so ato could blare all day until the water evaporates lol, may have to continue how it’s been all along or shell out the 60 clams , just was curious if others had run into this issue and their fix was - thanks again

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks , the thing I do not like about the reef octopus plug is it resets after 5 minutes and not adjustable, if I am away my wife will not listen the the tunze ato blaring alarm for 5 minutes until the skimmer kicks back on and uses that last precious inch of water in the sump, she would pull every plug or smash the tank first , the manual reset plug would not work if we were both away say for a week vac and then no skimmer for a week +/- , same for the smart plug if no one around to voice command it back on, no one home to care/hear so ato could blare all day until the water evaporates lol, may have to continue how it’s been all along or shell out the 60 clams , just was curious if others had run into this issue and their fix was - thanks again
depending on the Tunze, you can disable the alarm.