Skimmer overflow protection Apex float with TLF150 canister

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Got bored reading boards and decided to play with my Apex, recently delivered float switches and with my DIY $10 Apex Break Out Box. Basically when my skimmer goes haywire, as we all know they do, once the canister is full of skimmate, it shuts off the skimmer. This is just the idea in the works. I will be working on it from here, I will seal the float in there with a vent tube to allow air out of the canister as the skim fills it and need to add a quick connector as well. But can be really handy :D

[youtube]F6dNyHp93cs[/youtube]

davesolo29

Super Active Member
You could likely do the same thing just with a float switch in the collection cup.  No need for the canister.  Also set an alarm to notify you that the cup is full. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boga

Great ideas folks. Both would work with minimum efforts.
I am working on something similar, a capacitive sensor on the wall of the skimmer cup, or it can be attached to another container.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
davesolo29 link said:
You could likely do the same thing just with a float switch in the collection cup.  No need for the canister.  Also set an alarm to notify you that the cup is full. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True enough and I may do that as well for the hell of it, but I figured the bubbles would mess with it, I just like the canister because then it is easy to just take off and dump while containing the stench. As apposed to shutting down my skimmer and messing around with a full skim cup dripping/spilling. Reef Octopus has a similar set up that I came across, only they actually have a carbon filter on the canister to filter/freshen the air coming out of the overflow canister.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
My skimmer drains to the sewer so I have a low sump switch that shuts the skimmer off if it is overflowing.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Pistol link said:
My skimmer drains to the sewer so I have a low sump switch that shuts the skimmer off if it is overflowing.

Nice touch. When I redid the drains under the house this past summer I kept a t-off and capped it so I can use it as a tank drain.  My goal is to have a water change chamber in my next sump so I can dump 20gallons straight into the drain, then refill with fresh.

My only concern, wouldn't it take a lot of water to drain out of a sump to trigger a low float, especially if the ato just finished?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Torx link said:
[quote author=Pistol link=topic=7833.msg81902#msg81902 date=1392587798]

Nice touch. When I redid the drains under the house this past summer I kept a t-off and capped it so I can use it as a tank drain.  My goal is to have a water change chamber in my next sump so I can dump 20gallons straight into the drain, then refill with fresh.

My only concern, wouldn't it take a lot of water to drain out of a sump to trigger a low float, especially if the ato just finished?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

[/quote]My switch is set @ 2" below the waterline in the return compartment which is @ 3 gallons of water for my setup, and I use a pressure switch because I don't like the idea of a submerged float switch.