Skimmer went nuts over night?

DaveNewf

Hi guys,

I run a Octo Essance S130 skimmer and its really great however 'at times' (including last night) it filled my resovior and tripped out when a leak detector was hit. Thats the set up I have. My question is....I wasn't messing around or adding anything so what would make a skimmer do that? No settings were changed & obviously I didn't mess with its tuning dial?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Hard to say , back in the day I have a Hang off the back eshopps skimmer , it was great worked hard , but once in a blue moon had a reaction like that , my new skimmer hasn’t had that happen yet , but also has way more control with it then some started smaller units ,

keep in mind that some algaes and what not can let go into the water at night , (like Dinos for eg) and the skimmer will pull that out , not saying that’s why it overflowed it’s usually hard to pin point imo

DaveNewf

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have the APEX ATO and its based on the sensor. Theres no schedule overnight or anything. I've attached a pic of my sump set up. The skimmer is in the 1st chamber that maintains a constant level. Otherwise I'd be in trouble a lot I think? So its skimmer in the return chamber, bubble trap, refugium, return chamber essientially

Attachments

• 1637794046508.png
    1637794046508.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 110

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
In my experience skimmers overflow for two reasons. The water level rises or something is added to the tank that causes a reaction. That is a great pic of the sump, thank you.

One of my initial thoughts was the ATO rising the water level, but that is obviously not the case in this set up.

Also I thought, maybe the power shut off or return pump shut off which caused the water level to rise. When the power/pump comes back on, the skimmer would start right away but the high water level would cause the skimmer to overflow. With your skimmer in the first chamber, I doubt that is the case unless a power outage causes the water level to rise to almost a sump overflow level.

The other option is if you add/dose anything in the tank. Things such as Chemiclean for cyano or some epoxy sticks for mounting frags can cause a skimmer to go crazy. Fresh filter socks can cause it as well.

After seeing your set up, I am at a loss for suggestion. The skimmer stand looks a little uneven is the only thing I would have to add from here.

On a side note, for longevity of your Apex probes, I would suggest raising the tops out of the water so only the bottom80% or so is in the water. Also wondering what that RO tubing behind the skimmer is about. I can see the shut off valve, but interested in what that is for.

DaveNewf

In my experience skimmers overflow for two reasons. The water level rises or something is added to the tank that causes a reaction. That is a great pic of the sump, thank you.

One of my initial thoughts was the ATO rising the water level, but that is obviously not the case in this set up.

Also I thought, maybe the power shut off or return pump shut off which caused the water level to rise. When the power/pump comes back on, the skimmer would start right away but the high water level would cause the skimmer to overflow. With your skimmer in the first chamber, I doubt that is the case unless a power outage causes the water level to rise to almost a sump overflow level.

The other option is if you add/dose anything in the tank. Things such as Chemiclean for cyano or some epoxy sticks for mounting frags can cause a skimmer to go crazy. Fresh filter socks can cause it as well.

After seeing your set up, I am at a loss for suggestion. The skimmer stand looks a little uneven is the only thing I would have to add from here.

On a side note, for longevity of your Apex probes, I would suggest raising the tops out of the water so only the bottom80% or so is in the water. Also wondering what that RO tubing behind the skimmer is about. I can see the shut off valve, but interested in what that is for.
Thanks thats great advice (all of it). The RO tubing just behind the cup is connected through the lid of a jug (see attached). This is just so I have an extra resevior for the skimmate.

Attachments

• jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 56

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks thats great advice (all of it). The RO tubing just behind the cup is connected through the lid of a jug (see attached). This is just so I have an extra resevior for the skimmate.
That is what I thought it was and a great idea. I could not see the connection to the cup so I was wondering a little lol. Are you keeping track of the amount that gets drained into the reservoir? Any chance the fill up could be related to the tube getting clogged and not draining properly?

DaveNewf

That is what I thought it was and a great idea. I could not see the connection to the cup so I was wondering a little lol. Are you keeping track of the amount that gets drained into the reservoir? Any chance the fill up could be related to the tube getting clogged and not draining properly?
No I don't think so cause the jug filled. Hard to believe it went bonkers enough to fill that? I have a leak sensor underneath that felt moisture and shut down the skimmer