Skimmer

monizb

Super Active Member
Just would like to know if there are any skimmers out there the are not lowed my reef octopus is little lowed for my liking dame thing runs great just lowed and my system is in my kitchen with sump under it

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
monizb link said:
Just would like to know if there are any skimmers out there the are not lowed my reef octopus is little lowed for my liking dame thing runs great just lowed and my system is in my kitchen with sump under it
loud?  My Omega is dead silence

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk HD

KBennett

You can make it quiet with some plumbing on the output.  They sell a piece for it for 50, but you can make one for less than 10.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I put some plastic stoppers in the muffler, I plugged one hole and partially covered the second and it is almost dead silent.  It is loud out of the box. 

KBennett

Search for noisy reef octopus.
It is just a T off the output with a small hole on the top.
Or, you could use just an elbow straight down, but in this case you have to get the air bubble out when you first start it up or you'll have back pressure issues. When I get mine, this is what ill do as it should be dead silent.
The outlet is metric, so you'll have to be creative if yours didn't come with a converter.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Is this one of the bubble blaster pumps?  You're not going to find a quieter pump... if it is the output, another solution is to cut the PVC riser down so the water exits the skimmer at the height of the water you have it sitting in... you can add the T to that as well, but probably wouldn't even be necessary.

KBennett

jroovers link said:
Is this one of the bubble blaster pumps?  You're not going to find a quieter pump... if it is the output, another solution is to cut the PVC riser down so the water exits the skimmer at the height of the water you have it sitting in... you can add the T to that as well, but probably wouldn't even be necessary.

Sorry for hijacking monizb.... I'm getting one soon and this is a concern for me.

jroovers-Do you mean cutting the gate valve off?

KBennett

After looking at it, I'm assuming that you mean shortening the PVC underneath the gate valve...  Does it come apart?

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
if its the pump being nosiey yu wont be able to quiet it...but if iits the water coming out of the output back into sump. yu can quiet that part by gettin a elbow and put it at the end of yur output pipe ..like deeper into the water