skimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
hey Guys ....

Whats a good Hang on skimmer for a 55 gal tank ??? suggestions ???

Thank you

Matt

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Petercar link said:
The only ones yu will likely find a HOB  in london will be a crappy seaclone skimmer

Agreed. Maybe Sealife or Al's will be able to order you a nice one in. But either way, I doubt anyone in London area has them in stock. Unless someone is selling one used. I have not seen any in our classifieds though.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I had a cpr bak pak that at the time I thought was good, but in hindsight, I should have had 4 of them on a 75gal :)

I'm a fan of reef octopus, that dual one looks pretty neat. 

nitro069

I used a reef octopus BH100 for a year on my 60 gallon and found it to perform very well, except for those damn micro bubbles that would not go away. Fixed that though, just took the wifes stupid scency spatula and put it in the top of the outlet pipe. worked like a charm. had to listen to her about it though ::).

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=yveterinarian link=topic=4037.msg36109#msg36109 date=1358194399]
Bill at IA also carries Reef Octopus:

http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=221_219&products_id=2028

Or this one, which is rated for bigger tanks, and $160 cheaper:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1177/
[/quote]

I agree, but Bill's uses the Bubble Magnus pump which comes with a three year warranty.  I've been told that Bubble Magnus pumps are one of the better ones.  :)

nitro069

One of the things to consider when using a HOB skimmer which i neglected to think of is the pump. wish i had of gone with the Reef octopus BH1000 or 2000 because the pump is external. with only having a 60 gallon tank i found the pump to take up ALOT of real estate.
plus if you want to do maintenance on the skimmer i found the lights to be in the way and the skimmer to be a bit of a pain when removing the pump from the tank. IMO something to consider when purchasing.

Victoss

nitro069 link said:
One of the things to consider when using a HOB skimmer which i neglected to think of is the pump. wish i had of gone with the Reef octopus BH1000 or 2000 because the pump is external. with only having a 60 gallon tank i found the pump to take up ALOT of real estate.
plus if you want to do maintenance on the skimmer i found the lights to be in the way and the skimmer to be a bit of a pain when removing the pump from the tank. IMO something to consider when purchasing.

+1 to consider one with an eternal pump, I have an Aquac Remora on my 55 and it does the job but is a bit noisy and you can do better plus you get to look at a MJ pump in your tank.

blair

i may be selling my deltec mce 600 shortly you wont find a better hang on than that one

Jewel

Initially i would say if you intend to go FOWLR then you'd be better off with a bigger tank and a sump and an in-sump skimmer, that being said it may not be an option for you at this time, Hell i started with 55 and a CSS 125 I believe heavily modded of course and you know it worked pretty good for a cheap skimmer but then i went with a sump and used that skimmer in sump for 2 years.

I'd check out the BRS Reef octupuss skimmer. And try and resist over stalking the tank,HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.