small black dots on Digi (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanHurst

Hey Im just wondering if anyone has ever seen small black dots/bumps on a digi's? ???
I had it on a few small frags and have noticed they were not doing well.. I will post a picture tomorrow if i can even focus on them, I need a magnifying glass to see if they are bugs or not :?. I coral dipped all the frags and the ones with the most black dots/bumps i brushed and they dont come off! haha I figured id throw the question out there and see what anyone knows or has a link to different pests !!
CHeers

jroovers

Super Active Member
Re: small black dots on Milli's

If they are not coming off, strange... not red bugs or AEFWs by the sounds of it, otherwise they would look red and they would then come off with a dip and scrubbing.  Pics would definitely help.

JordanHurst

Its weird, its almost like stopping the poylps from coming out. I tried to get a picture and it wont focus, gonna grab a magnifiying glass and see what if i can tell what they are, its on 3 of 5 milli frags and one is pretty much dead, other has done nothing no polyps come out, then last one has growth tips, just anywhere near the black dots no polyps come out!!!

JordanHurst

hope these help, can deff see them on there... I looked with magnifiying glass (piece of crap, still cant tell if they are bugs, the coral was thrown in the sump for a few days before this pic so its almost dead but just curious what these are. I can find one or 2 on the milli to the right as well.. i dont know!!!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Re: small black dots on Milli's (pics)

Those are digis.. The superman I got from u does not have these dots.

JordanHurst

Yea i messed that up! yea I have superman purple green teal german blue all with nothing on them, the purple smoothie has a few small ones, the picture is the pink smoothie and the other forrest fire i threw out it was dead. Im having no problems with any other corals everythings great... no idea im thinking to toss any out that have the dots and forgetabout it!!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
They gotta be bugs or something.. Look closely andthey are on the coral not in it.. Also slightly different in shape.. I have no clue really tho

JordanHurst

Duke link said:
They gotta be bugs or something.. Look closely andthey are on the coral not in it.. Also slightly different in shape.. I have no clue really tho
Yea thats what i mean they are actually on the coral, I cant tell if they move it seems they are barley holding on and then if i take out of water i cant get it off! I think Ill break a chunk off and bring it to work! Look under the micro!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Take the same photo again later and see if they are moving around

jroovers

Super Active Member
Definitely look like bugs of some type, but not RB's... doesn't look like MEN's either.  Hopefully they are not flatworms of some type.  Definitely take the coral out and do a dip of some sort.  Maybe post some pics in the SPS forum on RC, you'll definitely get more feedback. 

In the meantime, I wouldn't go sharing any frags unfortunately. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i was reading last night and they are probably black bugs.. just google digitata black bugs.. the bayer seems to work good to kill them.. multiple dips  etc etc.. coral rx wont cut it.

JordanHurst

Threw that coral into the laundry tub, haha not worth keeping a $10 frag, I havent seen any on the other corals so Ill keep an eye out. Duke did you see a chemical you said may work>? Bayer?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
JordanHurst link said:
Threw that coral into the laundry tub, haha not worth keeping a $10 frag, I havent seen any on the other corals so Ill keep an eye out. Duke did you see a chemical you said may work>? Bayer?

i know if you follow reef central in the SPS section it seems alot of people are using Bayer Insect killer as a dip, the exact kinds and dosages you would have to check out the thread, alot of people are using this instead of coral RX as a dip and a substitute for interceptor. seems to do the job for red bugs and even aefw, you need to be able to remove the effected corals for treatment tho. Check it out, if you tried it and the little black things fall off then you know they were a pest of some sort.

JordanHurst

haha yea Ill have to look. as I said they were only on the one coral, everything else looks fine. so Ill keep an eye out and if i see anything. I RX dipped this one 2 times brushed it and they didnt come off.. Ill double check tonight but im pretty sure they arnt on any other corals. Cross fingers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.