Not open for further replies.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Snorkeling in Mexico - Akumal

Last May 24 weekend me and a 4 of my buddies went down to Mexico for my cousin George's bachelor party. We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe just south of Akumel. We spent a lot of time in the water exploring the reef.

Most of the reef near the shore is in rough condition. Mostly gorgonian corals or large LPS (favias, maze), a few SPS corals, porities, stag, and monti cap.  Although coral was lacking there was a tonne of fish.

Two of the my friends (George "the bachelor" and Lee "lewis844" on the forum) have their scuba licenses. They went on a few dives and said that the reef was way better out where they were diving. Here is Lee's pics from their dive trip.

http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1208.0

I took with me 2 disposable underwater camera and took all 48 pics. Only about 15 of them turn out OK. Next time I will be buying or borrowing a proper camera.

Mexico.jpg

The lay out of the land and sea :)

Mexico2.jpg

The first day - Partied our asses off. No time in the ocean.

The second day - The waves were really big so snorkeling at the resort was not an option. I knew there was a small bay just south of the resort (thanks to google maps) so, Lee and I decided to take a walk and have a look. 

The waves were much smaller in the bay but the viability was crap due to the choppy water. 

Here is a picture of the bay.

Mexico4.jpg

DSCF2442.jpg

DSCF2443.jpg

Angle fish?? not sure what kind.

025_25.jpg

We found this huge school of silver fish. The picture didn't turn out but it was a really cool sight. Literally tens of thousands of these swimming together. Kinda freaky though once i realized that this amount of fish ought to draw in larger predictors. Lee saw a stingray large but I missed it. We were in about 25-30ft of water (hard to see the bottom).

027_27.jpg

The 3rd day -  We snorkeled a bit in front of the resort but there wasn't much to see. A few damsels, blue tangs, yellow wrasse, and lots of black urchants/snails/blue legged hermits. 

My buddy John and I took a hike up the beach to the town of Akumal. I read that Sea Turtles frequent the shore right out side the town. It was a bit of a walk (about 4km north of the resort) but well worth the trip. We swam out quite away before finding a turtle. Water was super clear. Depth got as deep as 15-20 ft.

Turtles, barracuda, tangs, wrasses, damsels.

Here is a picture of the area we swam just outside of Akumel.

Mexico5.jpg

015_15.jpg

016_16.jpg

Barracuda 5 1/2 - 6 feet

013_13.jpg

Purple porities it think?

017_17.jpg

Octopus under the cement

024_24.jpg

Anemone

018_18.jpg

The Turtles!!

022_22.jpg

021_21.jpg

020_20.jpg

The 4th day - We all went to Xel-Ha. Xel-Ha cost us about 70USD. Defiantly a bit of a tourist trap but it was a super fun day. Snorkeled in the lagoon for 4-5 hours and saw a tonne of fish species. upside down jelly fish, turtles, huge conch snails, angles, tangs, damsels, jack fish, butterflies, parrot fish, grunts, stingrays, huge grouper. Not much for coral though.

Most of my underwater pics here didn't turn out for some reason.

Mexico3.jpg

048_48.jpg

045_45.jpg

029_29.jpg

028_28.jpg

Cliff jumping!!

042_42.jpg

El Gagante

044_44.jpg

Mangrove Tubing -  Trying to know each other off the tubes was a blast and swimming between mangroves was incredible. Again, I took a tonne of underwater pics in mangroves because the water was crystal clear but the pics didn't turn out this time because there want enough light underwater.

001_1.jpg

002_2.jpg

003_3.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've been to all the same places... the barracuda at akumal...was it out by the boats by any chance? 

The seaside restaurant there had some good nachos. 

At Xeh-ha I convinced some Americans that sergeant majors had poisonous spines.  i think they almost drowned themselves trying to keep an eye out for them  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.