Socks

saltyair

Great link

I have noticed that more people are moving away from socks. Maybe its due to better skimmers

I stopped using a sock full time since removing my refug

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I think people have stopped using mesh filters on there reef tanks because they are not required and have been proven to be not required by many reefers running fully loaded tanks without any mesh filtration..... As more people see this I think they realize they can probably avoid the expense and maintenance....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Great link.

I personally still run socks and probably always will. I find with the decrease in sediment in my sump is worth the extra cost and maintenance. Just my opinion. I know plenty of people who don't run them who have beautiful tanks. I personally just prefer to run them

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
been about 8 months and sump looks clean here with no sock

sump.jpg
sump1.jpg

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
been about 8 months and sump looks clean here with no sock

View attachment 2279 View attachment 2280
That's great!

I feed very heavy and have notice sediment build up in a weeks time when I wasn't using a sock.

Also not to mention how dirty my socks are after one week of use. I'd prefer to remove that from the tank rather than having it circulate throughout the system.

Like I said before. I'm not saying socks are a must. But in my situation the benefits outweigh the cons.

That's great!

I feed very heavy and have notice sediment build up in a weeks time when I wasn't using a sock.

Also not to mention how dirty my socks are after one week of use. I'd prefer to remove that from the tank rather than having it circulate throughout the system.

Like I said before. I'm not saying socks are a must. But in my situation the benefits outweigh the cons.

here also without socks or floss I notice a large detritus build up in refugium.. for me I prefer to remove this instead of build up

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
ill always use floss it pulls a crap ton out and change it frequently then let my skimmer reactor and fuge do the rest.... is critical for my seahorse tank too only avoided socks due to cost. thanks for the link im going to surplus to grab me some of that felt :)

ill always use floss it pulls a crap ton out and change it frequently then let my skimmer reactor and fuge do the rest.... is critical for my seahorse tank too only avoided socks due to cost. thanks for the link
I also use floss due to costs haven't had socks in years but might change now and I will defiantly use them on the seahorse tank

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thanks for the link. I love DIY things and will most likely make some as well because my socks are getting old now. I use a sock on my fry tank only and don't have any socks on my seahorse tank or my reef tank. I do have a sponge on my return pumps though so that tends to catch a lot that the skimmer doesn't get.

I do have a sponge on my return pumps though so that tends to catch a lot that the skimmer doesn't get.
i cant put sponges on my return pumps because I need all the copepods and amphipods in my refugium get pumped to my display tank... a sponge would trap them also there is small planktonic particles rasped off the macro algae that feed the corals
so I have to catch the crap before the refugium

I think people have stopped using mesh filters on there reef tanks because they are not required and have been proven to be not required by many reefers running fully loaded tanks without any mesh filtration..... As more people see this I think they realize they can probably avoid the expense and maintenance....

just a question how do you remove the detritus from the system...on a weekly basis I low all my rock work and crevices clean what is the point then of blowing it around and keeping it in suspension just to have it collect somewhere else I want it removed from my system....... again just a question we work so hard to keep our systems clean why not remove whatever we can to me its a small expense compared to trying to control the consequences of detritus build up. Less detritus means less nutrient sources which will help keep things like algae out of your tank.
again not saying you are wrong just asking a question is all

saltyair

i cant put sponges on my return pumps because I need all the copepods and amphipods in my refugium get pumped to my display tank... a sponge would trap them also there is small planktonic particles rasped off the macro algae that feed the corals
so I have to catch the crap before the refugium

Yea I stopped mostly due to loss of micro flora and fauna.
I would throw out 100s of little coppapods and amphipods

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
just a question how do you remove the detritus from the system...on a weekly basis I low all my rock work and crevices clean what is the point then of blowing it around and keeping it in suspension just to have it collect somewhere else I want it removed from my system....... again just a question we work so hard to keep our systems clean why not remove whatever we can to me its a small expense compared to trying to control the consequences of detritus build up. Less detritus means less nutrient sources which will help keep things like algae out of your tank.
again not saying you are wrong just asking a question is all

I've never really been that concerned with removing detritus completely from my system.
At the end of the day what we want is proper parameters for no3 and po4 and not large amounts of algae building up which is likely due mostly to high po4 or silicate. I've never had to run any kind of mesh filtration in order to achieve these results and I know many other successful reefers who do not either. Ive always blown off my rocks in DT and crank the flow in my frag tang to stir everything up and get some water movement into where normally there isn't any. But I've never been concerned with actually trying to remove any of the particles. I've always believed and has success with the mentality to keep stable water parameters and let the water do it's job. This would require of course getting the detritus stirred into the water column rather than just letting it sit in an area with very little to no water movement for extended periods of time.
People are always concerned with boiling rock or acid bath too to eliminate the phosphate or whatever else may be trapped within. The best method to eliminate these ions is still to put it into circulating water with proper parameters and let it leach out.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I've never really been that concerned with removing detritus completely from my system.
At the end of the day what we want is proper parameters for no3 and po4 and not large amounts of algae building up which is likely due mostly to high po4 or silicate. I've never had to run any kind of mesh filtration in order to achieve these results and I know many other successful reefers who do not either. Ive always blown off my rocks in DT and crank the flow in my frag tang to stir everything up and get some water movement into where normally there isn't any. But I've never been concerned with actually trying to remove any of the particles. I've always believed and has success with the mentality to keep stable water parameters and let the water do it's job. This would require of course getting the detritus stirred into the water column rather than just letting it sit in an area with very little to no water movement for extended periods of time.
People are always concerned with boiling rock or acid bath too to eliminate the phosphate or whatever else may be trapped within. The best method to eliminate these ions is still to put it into circulating water with proper parameters and let it leach out.

How do you keep the water clear with all that particulate would it not be kind of a foggy effect? and leaving that detritus to buildup even if suspended in water column would it not start to rot and contribute to param spikes leading to higher dosing levels and more water changes and media needed? You must be removing it somehow.

I could see it working well for a coral only system but what about a few fish pooping in the mix especially a pig of a tang.