sohal not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
As many of you know, i picked up a sohal tang a bit more than a week ago.  He still isnt eating.  I have tried flakes, nori, nls pellets, cyclopeze, mysis, and brine.  He is looking super thin and now starting to swim erratically.  I dont see him making it through the night. 
any suggestions?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
soak a little lettuce in garlic and use a clip ,these guys like algae,greens,cheato,or anything leaf like you might have growing in your sump

i hope he pulls through for you

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i know this is a real quick update.
while i was typing the first post, he got stuck to a powerhead.  so he really doesnt have any energy.  i moved him to the sump to see if there will be less stress for him.  i assume the worst at this point.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
stuff like this makes it hard to stay in this hobby.  makes you feel helpless and guilty for not noticing signs sooner.  i mean, i knew he wasnt eating openly, but assumed he was finding something somewhere.  if he wasnt hiding from the stupid clarkii clown all the time i may have noticed how skinny he was and put him in the fuge sooner.

E

El concistador

That sounds sudden, it might not be something you did.

Any info on how long it's been at the store? was it a custom order? or something you just seen and bought? was it a planned purchase?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
El concistador link said:
That sounds sudden, it might not be something you did.

Any info on how long it's been at the store? was it a custom order? or something you just seen and bought? was it a planned purchase?
not sure how long it was at the store.  nope, not a custom order.  yes, saw it and bought it.  was looking for sarragassum triggers, didnt find any, and came home with this guy.  i should have got the purple tang instead.  took awhile to make up my mind.  wrong choice.

E

El concistador

For it to die from starvation is not possible. imo, starvation is a obvious sign where you see their bones, and notice a paper thin stomach, pretty obvious to spot.

a lot of fish are caught with cyanide, I think to slow them down to catch them easier, a lot of times they are fine for the few weeks in transit and a few weeks in the stores tank, then they slowly die a few week's later in the person's tank that recently bought it.

one way to protect yourself, from this, is to maybe custom order and reserve a fish, while giving a deposit. make sure you go to the store when it arrives, then request that it is in their tank for around 3 weeks minimum, before taken it home.

Request to see it eat, make sure it is swimming actively and is alert to the persons hand that is about to grab it for you.

also do all your research and ask a lot of questions and look at a lot of healthy looking exact pics from the net of the fish you are about to buy, to get an idea of it's natural brilliant color.

Ask about that fishes minimum tank size, it's comparability with your existing fish, along with it's diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.