Some of my acro frag tips white

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
theyangman link said:
I have long wondered this too. Perhaps I should sell off my LED fixtures....
I think I told you this months ago.

go out and get yourself a nice 12 bulb t5 unit (aquatic life unit is what I have above our one coral tank.) you are not going to get the shimmer from it but I would ask Glen to make you a nice couple of stunner strips to supplement the t5.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
BIGSHOW link said:
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=7052.msg71486#msg71486 date=1386093633]
Off topic, Derek hopefully you don't mind, but SPS related I guess, Tony, are you still running all LEDs?  If so, Glen may be of more help, he has a nice all LED reef with beautiful success.  That said, if all LED still, my first recommendation to you would be to swap out those LEDS (or some of them at least) and run some T5s.  Not that it can't be done with LEDS, but I think you might get off and running on the right foot with T5s.  I would put up a friendly wager that you would see more success.  If I recall correctly, Glen said that his SPS were not too fond of the LEDs initially, but once acclimated, they have done well.  If you are putting in corals into your system that have been grown or kept under primarily MHs or T5s, with some supplemental LED, it may be a shock to the coral to go under all LEDs.  If your tank is new, any problems with water chemistry would compound this issue.  Given that your water parameters are under check by the looks of it, and probably aren't the cause at this point, I really think you need to address your lighting. 

This is a very good point and I think it has been overlooked.  IME some SPS are not to happy to go from T5 to LED or LED to T5.  Almost everyone of my Acros that I put from one of my T5 systems to one of my LED lit tanks turned brown.  I have a PAR meter and I was matching them up pretty good, so to me, its a spectrum issue or something else.  I have heard that the colour will come back on the SPS, but I didn't have the patience to see how long it would take.  Both LED and T5 setups are on the same system so it was not a water issue, it was the lights.

I am not saying all SPS will do this, but the majority of the ones I tried did go brown.
[/quote]ya but how many did duke buy from yu  biggie?  and duke has all led

jroovers

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=7052.msg71487#msg71487 date=1386094156]
I have long wondered this too. Perhaps I should sell off my LED fixtures....
I think I told you this months ago.

go out and get yourself a nice 12 bulb t5 unit (aquatic life unit is what I have above our one coral tank.) you are not going to get the shimmer from it but I would ask Glen to make you a nice couple of stunner strips to supplement the t5.
[/quote]

I think Tony and I discussed this somewhat the one time he was over getting frags.  I haven't tried all LEDs so what I say has to be taken with a grain of salt, but that info from Bigshow certainly provides some additional support.  A couple of those ATI Sunpower units would be pretty nice and you might be able to swing a trade/pay for a couple without losing too much on resale of your LED fixtures. 

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Petercar link said:
[quote author=BIGSHOW link=topic=7052.msg71488#msg71488 date=1386094415]
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=7052.msg71486#msg71486 date=1386093633]
Off topic, Derek hopefully you don't mind, but SPS related I guess, Tony, are you still running all LEDs?  If so, Glen may be of more help, he has a nice all LED reef with beautiful success.  That said, if all LED still, my first recommendation to you would be to swap out those LEDS (or some of them at least) and run some T5s.  Not that it can't be done with LEDS, but I think you might get off and running on the right foot with T5s.  I would put up a friendly wager that you would see more success.  If I recall correctly, Glen said that his SPS were not too fond of the LEDs initially, but once acclimated, they have done well.  If you are putting in corals into your system that have been grown or kept under primarily MHs or T5s, with some supplemental LED, it may be a shock to the coral to go under all LEDs.  If your tank is new, any problems with water chemistry would compound this issue.  Given that your water parameters are under check by the looks of it, and probably aren't the cause at this point, I really think you need to address your lighting. 

This is a very good point and I think it has been overlooked.  IME some SPS are not to happy to go from T5 to LED or LED to T5.  Almost everyone of my Acros that I put from one of my T5 systems to one of my LED lit tanks turned brown.  I have a PAR meter and I was matching them up pretty good, so to me, its a spectrum issue or something else.  I have heard that the colour will come back on the SPS, but I didn't have the patience to see how long it would take.  Both LED and T5 setups are on the same system so it was not a water issue, it was the lights.

I am not saying all SPS will do this, but the majority of the ones I tried did go brown.
[/quote]ya but how many did duke buy from yu  biggie?  and duke has all led
[/quote]

That is a good point Larry, Duke has had good success (as have quite a few others).  I on the other hand have not, it was fairly easy to point the blame on my LED's since the entire system is connected.  I run Pacific Sun LED's on the LED tank and its just your typical blue/white 1st generation that came out a few years ago (1:1 ratio).  I don't have a lot of confidence in this fixture vs. the newer all spectrum fixtures or the nice DIY fixtures people are putting together.

I can't remember what Duke runs, but I am sure he will speak up.

I think Davesolo29 has a few T5 fixtures for sale....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I will add to what Bigshow is saying....

Good example, I got a blue matrix and a strawberry shortcake from BS.  I had no worries about the matrix, but I looked at that SS and thought "it's not going to be happy at all about this change".    Just my experience with certan acros, and where I wanted to put that one.  As expected, the matrix lightened a little bit, but more or less started putting out growth tips, so it will likely be just fine.  The SS, as I expected, went pale beige.  HOWEVER, it has good polyp extension, so I know it's healthy.  What I have noticed with my setup is that I either have to put new sps near the bottom (and deal with brown underside if it takes off), or just stick it where I know it will get light and let it go.  What I highly suspect will happen will be the original husk of the frag will sit and encrust, and all new growth will be totally a different colour (most likely near fluorescent), but it will very likely be spectacular.  Like that red convexa I got from Darryl.  It looked like crap for almost a year, didn't do anything at all, I mean nothing, but it was alive, so I left it.  Now it's green, yellow, red and a bit of purple.  It just had to get its shit together. 

Not everyone is willing to wait a YEAR for a coral to get its shit together.  For me, I really like the results (my limeade nasuta has finally put out new growth, and the polyps are ice blue....totally unreal), so it's worth the wait. 

Just my .02¢

curiousphil

Super Active Member
jroovers link said:
I've never had temp issues myself, so I can't tell you what the upper threshold is based on experience.

I can chime in here as I had a big issue when we got the first big heat wave back in July of this year.  Before the heat wave my temp swung regularly a couple degrees every day.  76-79 or so.  Once we were into the heat wave, my tank went up to 80.  Then 81.  Then 82.  Things were still alive but after I hit 83 then things started going downhill FAST.  The highest it got before I put the chiller online was 87.  I lost several SPS during this event, mostly in the 83-85 range if I remember correctly.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7052.msg71520#msg71520 date=1386105755]
LEAFS SUCK :D

Fixed that for you.
[/quote]

*WHISTLE* foul on the play. Keep that talk relegated to the hockey thread. No need to have that spill out over here....

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
I will add to what Bigshow is saying....

Good example, I got a blue matrix and a strawberry shortcake from BS.  I had no worries about the matrix, but I looked at that SS and thought \"it's not going to be happy at all about this change\".    Just my experience with certan acros, and where I wanted to put that one.  As expected, the matrix lightened a little bit, but more or less started putting out growth tips, so it will likely be just fine.  The SS, as I expected, went pale beige.  HOWEVER, it has good polyp extension, so I know it's healthy.  What I have noticed with my setup is that I either have to put new sps near the bottom (and deal with brown underside if it takes off), or just stick it where I know it will get light and let it go.  What I highly suspect will happen will be the original husk of the frag will sit and encrust, and all new growth will be totally a different colour (most likely near fluorescent), but it will very likely be spectacular.  Like that red convexa I got from Darryl.  It looked like crap for almost a year, didn't do anything at all, I mean nothing, but it was alive, so I left it.  Now it's green, yellow, red and a bit of purple.  It just had to get its shit together. 

Not everyone is willing to wait a YEAR for a coral to get its shit together.  For me, I really like the results (my limeade nasuta has finally put out new growth, and the polyps are ice blue....totally unreal), so it's worth the wait. 

Just my .02¢

Same deal for me putting things under my HQI's that have been under T5's.  Sometimes lose some tips (just cut them off...nothing serious)  But some of the changes in colour are dramatic!

My SSC after a couple of weeks under the halides.
DSC03556_zpsb4e4669d.jpg

DerekL

I have full spectrum LEDs. Not just blue and white. I have yet to have one frag go brown on me. I got a green slimer frag from Seggsy the piece he had given me had been growing downwards so when I put it in my tank where I wanted it the underside of the frag was now up. Am within a week it coloured up even put on new growth tips. I don't think my lights are the problem here. Do I possibly have a bad test kits yes possible my parameters all seem pretty steady except with that day where I had a huge temperature swing. Plus the frags that I am having issues with have been in my tank since Ricks frag swap. All have which have been encrusting and I couldn't be happier about there colour.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
DerekL link said:
I have full spectrum LEDs. Not just blue and white. I have yet to have one frag go brown on me. I got a green slimer frag from Seggsy the piece he had given me had been growing downwards so when I put it in my tank where I wanted it the underside of the frag was now up. Am within a week it coloured up even put on new growth tips. I don't think my lights are the problem here. Do I possibly have a bad test kits yes possible my parameters all seem pretty steady except with that day where I had a huge temperature swing. Plus the frags that I am having issues with have been in my tank since Ricks frag swap. All have which have been encrusting and I couldn't be happier about there colour.

yup its not the lights.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I agree, I don't think the lights are the problem in your situation.

Since you never had any issues previously and you did have a "Rapid" temperature swing I would chalk up the white tips to the temperature.  You tested your water and that has all come back with good results, which should rule out water quality.

The correlation of the white tips to your recent temperature swing is to 'good' to ignore.

DerekL

If it where the lights wouldn't these frags of shown sign of distress awhile ago? I wouldn't think that they would of started encrusting and signs of new growth if they weren't happy.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i dont really think they are the problem in Tonys situation either, but give it a month, he'll sell his lights, buy some T5's.. wait another month and he'll probably start seeing some success.. is it going to come from the new lighting? or the 2 months of time time that passed? i think this is the number one reason leds get a bad name, lets face it, leds are the "new" best lighting option pushed by the aquarium industry.. many new reefers go that route for many reasons, cost, energy consumption, fancy features.. etc etc. but when i boils down to it, most new reefers diving into the hobby and not going to have success right away, there's a steep learning curve for most and along the way there are going to be alot of mishaps and set backs, theres so many anti led people who are so qiuck to jump to the "its the lighting" that it convinces these newbie reefers to try something else.. which inevitably they eventually have some success, so when they put 2 and 2 together they get "it must have been the lighting". it was the exact same way with T5 fixtures.. go back 6 years and read the sps section on reef central, everyone who was having issues with their tanks and running T5's got told its the lighting, T5's arent strong enough, MH and PC are the best way to grow SPS.. etc etc etc.. if anyone wants proof tonys exact lights can keep any and all sps and have them thrive, i've posted tanks lit by the same exact lights he has. and theres 100s if not thousands more tanks out there obviously.

blogger-image--1827888310.jpg

[img=1400x787]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/QPS9XX_vku4/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

fts_3-10-13.jpg

images

[img=1400x793]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/QpGG4vY-BwA/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
i dont really think they are the problem in Tonys situation either, but give it a month, he'll sell his lights, buy some T5's.. wait another month and he'll probably start seeing some success.. is it going to come from the new lighting? or the 2 months of time time that passed? i think this is the number one reason leds get a bad name, lets face it, leds are the \"new\" best lighting option pushed by the aquarium industry.. many new reefers go that route for many reasons, cost, energy consumption, fancy features.. etc etc. but when i boils down to it, most new reefers diving into the hobby and not going to have success right away, there's a steep learning curve for most and along the way there are going to be alot of mishaps and set backs, theres so many anti led people who are so qiuck to jump to the \"its the lighting\" that it convinces these newbie reefers to try something else.. which inevitably they eventually have some success, so when they put 2 and 2 together they get \"it must have been the lighting\". it was the exact same way with T5 fixtures.. go back 6 years and read the sps section on reef central, everyone who was having issues with their tanks and running T5's got told its the lighting, T5's arent strong enough, MH and PC are the best way to grow SPS.. etc etc etc.. if anyone wants proof tonys exact lights can keep any and all sps and have them thrive, i've posted tanks lit by the same exact lights he has. and theres 100s if not thousands more tanks out there obviously.

blogger-image--1827888310.jpg

[img=1400x787]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/QPS9XX_vku4/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

fts_3-10-13.jpg

images

[img=1400x793]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/QpGG4vY-BwA/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]
I don't think its the light per say. I think its a combination or the height of the tank and the LEDs.  I can't tell from the pictures how tall the tanks are but that is my thought. I also think Tony is a rare case where we actually let us all know that his tank hasn't done so well.  How many people have purchased those lights and not made it public that there tank couldnt grow SPS?  For every one good thing said there is usually 10 bad ones. Now this usually goes for customer service but I imagine the same could be said about different products.