Some Sort Of Algea

bart84

Hey all, I need some help iding this algea. I just did a chemiclean treatment for cyano and this stuff just took off. It eventually turns into brown stringy strands. Help me pls. I am debating on shutting my tank down and doing a complete start over because of it. Thanks in advance. Dave
7AA086D8-C627-4018-8B36-4851C6D78F7C_zpsyfkj8kse.jpg

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Suck it off to save your corals, it's probably cyano caught in the water column then stringing together as it passes your corals,maybe, just a guess, ?¿, it happend to me..

bart84

It could be cyano, maybe I should do another treatment. It is all over my tank. I have already lost just about all of my coral. I have a couple leathers that I am going to transfer but the rest is a right off I think. I need a whole tank treaent or something.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Could be dinoflagellates, run extra carbon as it is very toxic, blow it off with a turkey baster, stop water changes as it fuels it. If you can get access to a microscope you can ID it.
Shutting down and starting over probably not the answer, it is a sign of an unhealthy system that has lost its micro fauna. There's a few ways to battle it but ID is the key.

bart84

Ok. I dont have access to a microscope so is there another way to id it? If I blow it off how do I collect it, if I should stop water changes?

I do agree that my tank is not heathy. I have neglected it pretty badly. I don't notice any of my copes or pineapple sponges in my sump any more. So it's a safe bet that it is not balanced like it was.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Need a microscope to ID the species, I have one if you could get a sample to me. Most species are between 20 and 40 microns so if you siphon water through a 10 micron filter sock(I have those to) you will catch them all, also run 10 micron socks on your drains and shut off your skimmer and let the water get dirty and add plankton, copepods, amphipods, phyto, worms, mini brittle stars, bristle worms, etc. Depending on the species 4 days lights out will work but some species can live for months without light so ID is important. I also recommend removing the sand bed slowly if you have one and discard it, it can be replaced later. Don't add CUC yet as they will die.

The Reefinator

I once had a pretty large cyano outbreak in my nano, I think a large crab died under some rock that I missed. Anyhow was very deep red and sort of stringy. I used chemiclean, turned off skimmer and pulled media for 48 hours and it was completely gone. Chemiclean is amazing stuff so if that didn't work it may not be cyano at all.

Cliff

Remember though chemiclean is basically a antibacterial. So using it rids u of cyano. But it also kills off mass amounts of good bacteria.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Actually he's going to need the cyano back along with green micro algae growing on the glass and leave the skimmer off until hair algae appears on the glass then start skimming dry. Also mag will go through the roof and alk and ca will rise, all side effects of dinos. The dinos will begin to farm their own food source as the competition increases, dinos are symbiotic algae hosted by corals and copepods are the only known predator.
Also, don't dose bacteria.

Last edited:

bart84

Wow this Dino algea from what I have read and you guys sounds like a real basterd to beat. But I am going to give my best shot.
I have a aragonite substrate, so should I remove it the same as a sand or is it ok?
I am kind of lost in the logic. If I need a higher nitrate water should I not leave it in to help with a dirty water?
What would be a basic step list to start the treatment of Dino's ?
Thanks for all the help in advance.

bart84

Just got home and this algea is very wuick to grow or accumulate. I just wiped my overflow clean last evening and this is it right now already. Long whisppy stings.
670C11E3-945C-4B89-BA3A-2CE1C75810DB_zpsdnhhtixc.jpg

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
At night it will go into the water column and in the day it will gather and form the stringy snot.
It loves the substrate so I would remove it slowly.
You need to get some 10 micron filter socks on your drains so you can blow it off with a turkey baster and collect it.
Run lots of carbon because of the toxicity.
You need to add pods and phytoplankton.

bart84

At night it will go into the water column and in the day it will gather and form the stringy snot.
It loves the substrate so I would remove it slowly.
You need to get some 10 micron filter socks on your drains so you can blow it off with a turkey baster and collect it.
Run lots of carbon because of the toxicity.
You need to add pods and phytoplankton.
Ok I got a microscope and this is what it looks like. They look like little oval clam like shapes. They were all dancing around. Sorry for the shitty iPhone pic
CD118384-D6FF-4BB8-B4E4-283C9242B8B7_zpsogu1gs9w.jpg