some type of snail

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reeffreak

anybody every see any of these little guys before it there tanks ? From what I have found they seem to be called a  Strombus maculatus  but im not positiveI have never seen one the whole time in this hobby , just looked at my tank before lights out seen two of these guys going across the sand bed .

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have a bunch of those, only come out at night.. They ate my clam.. They look like pyramid snails but bigger.

R

reeffreak

wierd these guys are like the little tiny shells u find at the beach there are so small i could barely see them movin in my 10 gallon tank lol  , the point comes out the back not on top and that long tenticle thing is there little feeding tube , ATE YOUR CLAM !!!!! :? not sure i want to put them back in

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
They are good... you can get the giant Tongan Variety which are an inch+ .  Keeps the sand bed stirred and eats left overs.  Have heard they prefer flesh to veges :) I got alot of them in the tank.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
not sure those snails in the first pictures are nassarius snails.

G

Gietz

I'm pretty sure their nassarius snails.  Ive got about 6 and yes they do like meat!!!  Any sick or wounded fish will be taken out in seconds by theses guys.  I've seen it first hand :( ( on two occasions). I can believe they ate your clam tho!!! Are you sure?

R

reeffreak

the link i put up is identical in looks , has the same black little spots and has the longer snout thingy lol , I also thought they were whelks but little confused because nass snails i read are a type of whelk , i put them in the refuge for now until i can get a for sure id , have it up on AP to one guy says nass snails also .

T

ts99ad

looks like my nass's.  A few climb the glass in my tank after feeding( I have no idea why), the rest burrow in the sand.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
some type of snail

Mine are in sand until I feed tank. Never seen them other then this.

Status
Not open for further replies.