John 1:6

Hi All,

I discovered this forum while looking up copepods and frags. Having read a few threads, I find many here are friendly and helpful. I've just move to Oakville (not the rich part!) and hope to connect with like minds in the area.

I am a long time freshwater planted guy and have had great success with mainly low tech and a lot of DIY equipment.

I've been out of the hobby for a 2 years but back now with a planted shrimp tank using a DIY pump/filter/co2 reactor setup.

The hobby to me is more like a journey rather than a destination. I love to learn, discover, build, and share.

I tried to start a nano reef tank about 3 years, but did not get far for reason such as lack of patience, lack of experience, and too much moving around.

I am attempting again a nano setup and will post my ideas and setup in the appropriate thread soon. I hope to find help and inspiration from other members here. Key words to intrique your mind are...Beginner Reefer, Nano, Mandarin, Copepods, Chaeto, Phytos, In-Tank refugium, Slow and Patience, DIY!

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Take care for now.

EZMac

Welcome to the frag tank, I also started in freshwater, i now run a saltwater setup that keeps getting bigger and bigger. I agree with you fully it is a journey always changing,upgrading,designing, learning.
This is a great site with a lot of helpful people.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Welcome to the site. Seems like you had a typical start in this hobby. It can be very frustrating sometimes. Good to see that you are making another attempt. It can be extremely rewarding while things are running smoothly. I hope you find what you are looking for here.

John 1:6

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I learn quickly that there are non-rich part of Oakville!:) That didn't stop the price of housing from breaking the bank! The benefit to the cost in Oakville is that people are so much more civil, and proper. The city is doing sidewalk construction on my street, and the corner to my lot is being repaved. Not one of my neighbours step on my lawn to get around the freshly poured paving.

Seems like everyone got a big tank here. Hope no one mind that I am starting with a Nano. I know bigger is better, but I can't manage it right now. I got a 100Gal in the basement that I probably migrate to in the far future.

Just re-jigging the Nano a bit, but will post in the new few day on the tanks. Hope to get lots of feedback and help.

Have a great weekend!

Jewel

Welcome, starting a Nano as your first Saltwater tank is brave, ask here and most will admit to their failures with Nanos.

Bigger is easier for sure, you don't have to go monster though, a 75 is a nice size.
I'd recommend for a beginner to go Lps and softies to start, SPS is for the brave right out of the gate.

Have fun, enjoy exploring the many Coral and fish available,