Sphaeromatids Isopods

zk4444

I spent several hours searching and trying to ID these little pods roaming around in my 75g tank. I am now 100% sure they are sphaeromatids isopods (mostly sand/rock dwellers). They only come out when the lights are off.

sphaeromatid4me.jpg

The funny thing is I don’t have other pods like Amphipod, etc. at all (used to have plenty in my old tanks) except for these guys. They seem to ‘mind their own business’ and leave my fishes/corals intact, but it seems there is quite a number of them. I could probably count somewhere around 50 or so sifting through my sand every night.. does anyone else have them in their tanks?

Kman

Super Active Member
Here is a good guide to read below. They talk about sphaeromatids isopods in it. I had them years ago but over time the numbers dwindled till one day they were gone. I myself never had any issues with them. But it really depends on the Species of isopods as some are parasites or predators.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

zk4444

Kman, thanks for the informative link!

I'm not sure if you'll remember but do you recall if the sphaeromatids had any natural predators that you may have kept, hence reason why they disappeared from your tank?

Kman

Super Active Member
You are welcome.

I was never really sure why they were just gone over time. I did have some large wrasse at the time so they could have had a hand in it. I had them when the pods started to bloom in population and after. It was pretty early on when the tank was newly set up (under a year) so as the tank matured and became more efficient in processing waste I would assume the lack of available food probably also contributed to the decline as well.