Sponge on return pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Just thought I'd ask...what does everyone do with the sponge on the return pump?  Do you switch it every now and then due to the potential for it becoming a nitrate producer?  Do you even use a sponge on the return pump?

What is your opinion?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
if my mag drive came with one I would be using it and cleaning it once a week. I dont use filter socks on my drains, but if i did I think i would still run the sponge if I had it personally .

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I, also clean mine every week with the water change and it is quite dirty every time but with the potential for nitrate buildup, would it be better to have two sponges and swap them out each week to give the sponge a very good cleaning? 

I don't use a filter sock either but have an area for it if needed.  I just found that the sock filtered out the copepods that I had living in the refugium that made their way into the DT for my seahorses.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
rinse it out every coupel days or so if you find it build up quickly, that also means that the water exiting the sump should be skimmer more also or maybe a filter sock should be in place. I shop vac my sump out on a weekly basis when i do water changes .

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeffreak link said:
rinse it out every coupel days or so if you find it build up quickly, that also means that the water exiting the sump should be skimmer more also or maybe a filter sock should be in place. I shop vac my sump out on a weekly basis when i do water changes .

Haha shop vac?! Heck that's a sweet idea, I'm always siphoning that crud out weekly

F

Fraggle Rock

Dont know if it's true? I heard you can burn the motor out of your shop vac if you run it continuously under water for extended periods.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
lol... i have a feeling he emptys the sump during the water change.  Thats how i do mine.
One week i take siphon the crud out of the tank during water change... the next week i clean my sump out completly. 

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Fraggle Rock link said:
Dont know if it's true? I heard you can burn the motor out of your shop vac if you run it continuously under water for extended periods.

it was a $40 shop-vac at home depote only holds 6 gallons says the box, but I would say 4 since you cant fill it up past the hose imput which is 3/4 of the way up the body of the vac. bought it specifically for water changes lol.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
brilliant idea! something to keep in mind once my sump is hooked up !

reeffreak link said:

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I think the shop vac is a great idea!  The wet/dry ones shouldn't have a problem with pump burnout since they are designed for water.  I used to use one to empty the last water from my hot tub when doing a full cleaning, it worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.