SPS Identification website,guide, book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saltnureye

Any good places or resources that are out there for SPS id? anything out there like a coral wiki? geared more to the reefer vs wild. 
An id guide with common names and also information on coloration, current needs, lighting requirements, growth etc. 

S

saltnureye

I found and have a few books but first they are insanely priced and second provide information more on wild species vs captive.  Great pictures to drool at but not the information the common reefer is looking for.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
This is tough, because people have a tendency to rename corals.  Reef raft for example, they stick a name on it and that's what it is.  I think a lot of stuff is wild caught, and heads straight to market, it doesn't get named, classified etc.  That's why you'll see 5 different 'red planet' acroporas, that all look 100% different.  Which one is right?

spyd

Super Active Member
Darryl_V = SPS Coral Wiki.  ;) Post a pic and get an answer.

That is a loaded question though. Salty is right. You can get a name for the species but there is no actual trade name for the coral as people just make them up. Some have trade names that have stuck and thus, demand more money but most are just made up.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Right, a reef raft monti is worth more than a salty cracker monti.  However, I feed mine all natural and they use steroids.  Seriously.  Feel free to spread that rumour fact around.

S

saltnureye

True, I was in the states a few weeks ago and checked out a local reef shop there.  I dont think I recognized more than a handful of names on even some of the most common lps/softies.  I guess some shops/reefers come up with names based on whatever is catchy at the time, sometimes having no relation the species at all.

It would still be amazing to have a resource out there besides bugging Darryl_v  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.