Sps Meltdown..again.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
The bryopsis gives off compounds into the water column that can kill corals. Are you running fresh carbon to adsorb those compounds until you can get the algae under control??? It's pretty extreme!!!

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Wow!
It's definitely the bryopsis causing all your issues! I had no idea it was that bad.
Carbon will help a lot. But you'll need to be changing it quite often to absorb the toxins being released.

Stray voltage can be present even with gfci. Test it.

But seeing your photos. I'm willing to bet it's the root cause of everything. Especially when physical removal is happening. As you rip it off the rocks. You're releasing a ton of toxins.

Sony Xperia Z3

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Riley. I can set up a system in my basement separate from my DT, self contained with lights, filtration and skimmer if you want to pull the plug on your stuff, hold your frags and any colonies we can salvage, get your love rock under control and restart your system. I have a variety of available tanks do to this with. Let me know. We can talk, you help me move and arrange some tanks and we'd be good to go.

heath

Distinguished Member
when the 125 was set up, went through the same thing.. you have been given some REALLY good advise.. you have your work cut out for you but, it can be done..

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
FFS lol. I was getting the feeling a complete start over was in the making.
Riley. I can set up a system in my basement separate from my DT, self contained with lights, filtration and skimmer if you want to pull the plug on your stuff, hold your frags and any colonies we can salvage, get your love rock under control and restart your system. I have a variety of available tanks do to this with. Let me know. We can talk, you help me move and arrange some tanks and we'd be good to go.
Im probably going to have to take you up on that offer. Because things definately arent getting any better, just worse. When and how can we do this. Im.pretty screwed since i only have my beginners license, and noone around to drive me.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
To get rid of my bryopsis/GHA/cyano,when a bunch of snails died I used a tooth brush with a 3/8 airline, rubber banded to the toothbrush with the Tip of the air line pushed down in the middle of the brissles, half way on the head of it, start your syphoning, and slowly scrub inch by inch, it's amazing how much you will get out, it will help suck out the nutrients the bryopsis has sucked up,and the bryopsis when it grows back it's just sucking up more nutrients, then do it again and again if you have to, always replacing carbon everytime if not once between, it took me 4-5 times over a month or so, it's been a month or more and no bryopsis no gha, haven't had cyano since the beginning but worked well for everything...

heath

Distinguished Member
it is nasty shit, I agree with what you have been told, get as much out as you can manually and add a good carbon source.. scrape it off the back wall.. if your carbon is working you will start to see it disappear within days and lots of good size water changes..on a 135 you should be doing at least 40 gal a week min... that's how I got rid of mine...run the system with HEAVY socks so that it doesn't just go back into the tank...my socks had to be changed every 3 hours, if that gives you an idea how bad mine was...

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I can set up a 25 tomorrow if need be to get started, I also can get a 90 fired up by the end of the week, proper lighting for it is my only issue. But I'm sure we can figure something out. If you want to get started moving the frags this weekend let me know. You're gonna need to cut those colonies off your live rock or it will
Just spread to me

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
it is nasty shit, I agree with what you have been told, get as much out as you can manually and add a good carbon source.. scrape it off the back wall.. if your carbon is working you will start to see it disappear within days and lots of good size water changes..on a 135 you should be doing at least 40 gal a week min... that's how I got rid of mine...run the system with HEAVY socks so that it doesn't just go back into the tank...my socks had to be changed every 3 hours, if that gives you an idea how bad mine was...
Unfortunately carbon alone wont rid someone of bryopsis..its not like Hair algae. Alot more envasive and harder to get rid of. And as you can see it has plagued my tank and rocks

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Yes but with persistence, and a bit of elbow grease it will disappear just as easy, it happend to me and a good buddy with out having to use any chemicals to help the process other than running carbon... Trust me...keep on it, don't feed the tank very much while this is happening its just gonna fuel the fire,, be patient it will take a bit of time,and without having to kill your wonderful tank and do a breakdown of it.... Just my 2 cents

deeznutz

So sorry to hear your troubles, i too have dealt with bryopsis. That stuff is nasty and really takes hold. Tooth bursh method was my golden sword.
I tired the tech M, but my sps were effected almost instantly.

Heres my attempt at beating bryopsis.

MAke a decent amount of saltwater!

Wait until it has grown long enough to get a good handle on it to pull it from the rocks. Turn your returns off. Put the foam guards on your mp40s and set them to constant.

Float a half filled tupperware with tank water, pull a large patch of bryopsis and put it in the tupperware. Using the water to clean off your finger tips.
Continue until you get the mass of it. After, go in with a firm tooth brush and scrub like you've never scrubbed before. Your rocks will clean off pretty easier if you had good coraline coverage.

Now let the mp40 run for a bit until the foam pads catch most of the particles. Turn off the mp40s and removed the wet sides, I used a ziplock bag to contain the bryopsis from coming lose again.

Let the water settle for about 10 mins and siphon out the stuff that settles, put a filter sock on your drain before you turn your returns back on. Run new carbon and kill the lights for a day.

Rinse and repeat. Should only take 2-3 times tops. It took me 3 attempts a week apart.

I forgot to mention, you should be blowing off your rocks as well with a maxi jets, I stuff in into the crevasses and just watch until debris stops blowing out.

Good luck, it's an uphill battle, but you'll be pleased with the results.

-deez

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I'm not saying it can't be taken care of without taking the system apart.

But I know Riley has been fighting the same battle for months and months now and obviously hasn't gotten ahead of it. Which tells me that either there is a problem with his rocks and leaching nutrients. Or his schedule won't allow him to stay on top of it.

I've also fought off bryopsis before. But you need to be relentless and stay on top of it until it is all gone.

At this point. His sps are stressed out already by the toxins given off by the bryopsis and the constant treatments. Any additional attempt at control with the corals still in the system will only result in them melting away.

By removing the corals out of the equation. It allows Riley to decide if he wants to tackle it. Or just nuke the rocks.

Sony Xperia Z3

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah i think nuking the rocks is the only way...that or removing all the rock and scrubbing it every coupl days, in which case i might aswell nuke em...how long will it take to nuke.rocks? Only issue will be getting the fish out..

heath

Distinguished Member
I agree, its a lot easier to deal with it with the livestock out of the tank...catching the fish shouldn't be to bad, try after you have removed the rock and drained most of the water...that's the way that I do it...

heath

Distinguished Member
maybe Eric can chime in here but, how are you going to put them in Sewerat's tank, that will be new water and you don't want to transfer the nasty to his tank..is there a safe way to do it...just thinking out loud..