Starting over, questions abound!

100gallon

So why does everyone push the LED lighting? I don't really care about power consumption so would there be any reason to upgrade from my coralife 48" t5 with moon glow?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
So why does everyone push the LED lighting? I don't really care about power consumption so would there be any reason to upgrade from my coralife 48" t5 with moon glow?

For me it comes down to personal preference. My leds are non dimmable 2 blue:1white. On/off switch for each colour. Not much control. If you're happy with your current lights, there's no reason to go led.

100gallon

There is a lot of money to be spent on them from what I see....and would never offset the cost of the lights....I have been out of the hobby for a while and when I was in in 1996...lol...metal halides were were it was at! I still say nothing makes a tank shimmer better!

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I came from MH + T5's.

For me it was mainly heat and energy consumption plus bulb replacement costs.

Honestly, since switching to LED's(maxspect Razors). I'd never go back. I do however still have one tank on T5's, but that won't last more than a year. As I plan to switch to LED's on that tank as well.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
There is a lot of money to be spent on them from what I see....and would never offset the cost of the lights....I have been out of the hobby for a while and when I was in in 1996...lol...metal halides were were it was at! I still say nothing makes a tank shimmer better!

I do love the shimmer of MH. My leds don't come close, but I'm pretty sure the high dollar units do.

chief hill

Most of them are, even the cheap Chinese fixtures are now dimmable.
I agree with Jeff.
In my opinion the vast majority of the electrical component parts to build the "top quality" high end lights come from China anyway. It's just about manufacturer costs and where they are built.
However, I use the cheap Evergrow full spectrum dimmable led and it's great for the price. Too bright to keep maxed out good reviews and great price you can't go wrong.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Eel is doing good. Of course found a place nowhere near the cave I thought he'd end up. Bird wrasse is doing great as well. Out and about and already eating. So far so good!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Loaded question! I'm sure there will be many differing opinions, but that's a good thing! I finally have my tank up and running, thanks to much advice and help from this forum. Currently have a zebra eel and bird wrasse. My wishlist at the moment is (subject to change, of course) :

Longnose hawkfish
Antennata lionfish
Fuzzy dwarf lionfish
Porcupine puffer
Diamond goby
Whitebar goby
Sailfin tang
Scribbled rabbitfish
Regal angel
Horseshoe crab

As far as I can tell these should all play nice together. With the exception of the lions. What I'm thinking is I'll get them last, after the rest of the fish have grown to a fairly substantial size. I've read if you keep the lions well fed, they won't bother "hunting" tankmates. As far as space goes, I'll be buying these fish 1 or 2 at a time, allowing me to judge if I have enough room or not. Will this stocking list work?Mostly curious about integrating the lions. What say ye?

Last edited:

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Damn gha! Tank is starting to look like my old one. Anyone who saw it knows hair algae was running rampant. When it happenned in my old tank, i figured it was phosphates, or my rocks were leaching. My phosphates are undetectable (running rowaphos), and the rocks that used to have it don't, and the ones that didn't, now do. Got some golfball size turbos working on it now, and doing a hell of a job! Any suggestions on cause?
ja3yzana.jpg

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Just thought I'd share this because I was surprised. This is how 2 sunblaster t5s light my tank. Not bad for $110 delivered to my door. Thinking a couple more will be all I need :)
zaty5u5e.jpg