Starting Over Since The Move

CherryBlossom

Hey guys - I've been pretty distant from the forum for some time now due to a new job and new house, all my tanks had to be shut down, I just finished setting up my Red Sea Max 130D tank this weekend, pretty excited to have the tank up and running again.

Looking at replacing the T5 lights it has into LED'S - any suggestions? Looking for something that'll make the tank pop and supply good coral growth

Anyways here is the tank, today is the second day running & salinity is right on point!

47c01e4acd4e30ec89e6581fa76cf4b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Welcome back! What do you want to grow? Sps, Lps?

I have an Sps system and I know my bro Eric is gonna snap, but I really think that metal halides are the way to go! I have a pair of 250w radiums and they are awesome!

My trigger is Mr Happy under them

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Welcome back! Great start so far

I have an Sps system and I know my bro Eric is gonna snap, but I really think that metal halides are the way to go! I have a pair of 250w radiums and they are awesome!

MH's are a no brainer. Turn them on and forget about them. Led's however will need some adjustments to get the right settings to encourage fast and colourful coral growth, without causing major algae issues.

It really boils down to why you're looking to get into leds. If you think you're going to get magical growth and colour, you're not unless you adjust it correctly.

I for one switched because of bulb replacement costs and because i wanted to show that you can keep sps under them successfully

Just takes time

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

CherryBlossom

Thanks guys! It feels good to be back and have the tank up & running again - still looks a bit cloudy today though

My room mate wanted LED'S for this tank and the store suggested 800$ LED'S for this tank, I am sure there is something that does the same type of job for less

The tank we aren't 100% sure what we want in there yet - I always had SPS, would like to try some LPS though or do a mixed tank so I can get a chance at all different corals and on the other hand we were just thinking of doing a clown / nem tank with it too

This tank is right in our living room - so I'd like it to be a tank everyone runs to first to look at when they come visit

Just have to break down the big 55 Gallon this time & I have no knowledge on doing that, had the seller set it up for me - anyone close to kitchener want to lend me a hand one weekend? I am willing to pay for your time

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
There are plenty of leds that won't run you that kind of money for that size tank.

I work for Aquarius by design in waterloo,heading up their service department. We offer that service. But my time needs to be booked through the store. I don't do under the table work as that's a conflict of interest

But I'm sure there are members here that would be willing to help or give advice

CherryBlossom

Thanks Eric - I'll have to inquire about that if I can't find a member to give me a hand - I'm useless with trying to tear it all down without wrecking it

I will definitely be shopping around to see what LED'S I can find for the tank

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Thanks Eric - I'll have to inquire about that if I can't find a member to give me a hand - I'm useless with trying to tear it all down without wrecking it

I will definitely be shopping around to see what LED'S I can find for the tank

Make sure you ask here about the leds before you purchase. A lot of people don't understand what to look for in a quality led and will recommend just about anything. So when you've done your research to find the one you think best suits your budget. Double check here. Plenty of members with lots of experience with different leds at many different price points

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Make sure you ask here about the leds before you purchase. A lot of people don't understand what to look for in a quality led and will recommend just about anything. So when you've done your research to find the one you think best suits your budget. Double check here. Plenty of members with lots of experience with different leds at many different price points

Listen to MR.TMAH

CherryBlossom

Well it's nice to hear what everyone is using and likes that's for sure - I'll definitely be shopping around for what will suit me best for the tank