Strange happenings

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Purchase this beautiful orange --lps--- from reef hero a while back:

Over the transition between leaky ass tanks etc etc it has turned from orange to black- it's a happy black, not a dead black--
esytydad.jpg

Any idea ? Under the atinics I can see a faint hint of orange on the rim but bascily just black. 

Def not dead as it puffs up and looks fine other than colour...

Any ideas guys?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Go out and buy some of that stuff called...damn...can't remember. ..oh ya, patience.  Your corals have been kicked in the face pretty good and you obviously are still working on water quality by the looks of your sand bed.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Torx link said:
Go out and buy some of that stuff called...damn...can't remember. ..oh ya, patience.  Your corals have been kicked in the face pretty good and you obviously are still working on water quality by the looks of your sand bed.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Yea diatoms lol,

But turning black? That's not normal
Or am I missing something?

And not being impatient at all. Just curious as to what this is or if anyone's seen it before.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
My orange crush has patches of orange, green and purple that gets almost black and the colors do seem to change but no idea why and it is always multi-colored.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I believed it to be an acanthastrea echinata...... Orange crush echinata was simply a handle I was sold it as and continued to call it...... I'm not sure what to think about it turning all black like that.... Probably not a good sign to be honest IMO....hopefully it regains its vibrant orange colour with dark black centers like I always remember it having.....I cultured it for a couple years so it should be quite hardy but I imagine it is not happy right now for some reason.... It always devoured mysis or whatever food I fed it.... Has it been responding well to feedings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nexusnight

Sudden lighting changes can cause corals to grow a different strain of algea in them. Changing the colour for a while. It's kinda like a survival instinct. I've noticed this on softies particularly acans and lobos from t5 to led. Seeing it to varying degrees again now that I have t5 but never totally black. Maybe because the eyes were black that's the dominant colour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Torx link said:
Go out and buy some of that stuff called...damn...can't remember. ..oh ya, patience. 
Best line ever!  ;D

I think because of all the stress, it may have started to bleach and lost some color.  I'm sure it'll bounce back in a month or so after conditions become more stable

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
It would have been seeing Atleast 250 PAR  under t5s in my tank if that helps.... Also try putting another softie coral (like acan or chalice) about an inch away from it that you don't want and overnight it should devour it lol.... It's a very hungry one and like I said before it should devour mysis!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Reef Hero link said:
It would have been seeing Atleast 250 PAR  under t5s in my tank if that helps.... Also try putting another softie coral (like acan or chalice) about an inch away from it that you don't want and overnight it should devour it lol.... It's a very hungry one and like I said before it should devour mysis!

Didn't take to tiny lps pellets , will try mysis today

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Something is definitely stressing it out if it won't eat pellets.... It should even eat fish pellets....
Are you feeding when the lights are out.... Like at "night" ?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
That is strange for sure,

I don't really think it is that strange to be honest.... Corals have always changed colours for me... If they are not happy they can go brown/black or grey/white.... When that coral is happy it will quickly attack anything nearby(up to 3" away) that it sees as a food source.... Some may think that to be strange too but it is natural.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Reef Hero link said:
Any updates on this?? Has it been responding to feedings??

still puffing up and looking normal other than colour
no feeder tentacles yet on this guy, ive tried pellets and mysis with no flow in the tank, just doesnt touch em.

prob just stressed from everything, we'll leave him be and see what happens.