strange worm spewing fluid into tank

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hey everyone
I've got something I've never seen before and I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. I did a water change on the tank and saw a string of white fluid hanging around the rock that my purple tipped anenome is attached to.
At first I thought I had extremely pissed off the anenome, but then I was watching and a white worm like thing popped it's head out of the rock on the other side of the anenome and spewed more white liquid into the tank. The water is clowdy, I'm worried about my softies and my black and white clowns. I have moved the rock with anenome into my quarantine tank and have a power head blowing on the anenome to try and get it to release it's foot from the rock so that I can put the rock and whatever this creature is in coral rx to see if I can kill it. Has anyone ever heard of or seen of a worm like creature that spews fluid? Any other suggestions for trying to get the anenome to release it's foot? I'm afraid to try ice cubes near it's foot which was mentioned in another thread about anenome trouble. I'm assuming I need to do another water change as well. ughhhhh ! help !

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I can't imagine a worm doing much damage to that much water volume. Get some fresh carbon running and it should filter out the cloudy water (which I doubt is from the worm) 

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks Salty
Honestly I haven't been drinking LOL and I did see whatever this is spew fluid out. Poked it's head out of the rock and spit cloudy fluid. I have a healthy imagination but I was stunned ! Maybe I should have been drinking. I'll add fresh carbon and wait and watch.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
sunnykita link said:
Thanks Salty
Honestly I haven't been drinking LOL and I did see whatever this is spew fluid out. Poked it's head out of the rock and spit cloudy fluid. I have a healthy imagination but I was stunned ! Maybe I should have been drinking. I'll add fresh carbon and wait and watch.

Oh no I'm sure the worm is doing something (likely digging into the rock would be my guess), I'm saying with ~170 gallons of water, one worm couldn't cloud things up.  Unless this is on a smaller tank? 

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Yes, a smaller tank, I have a 30 gal corner tank, with pair of black and white clowns and the purple tipped sebae anenome. The cloud has cleared up, and I have new carbon added, I panicked, thanks so much, I wasn't thinking clearly. The bizarre worm spewing the cloudy stuff messed with my head LOL  If I can get the anenome to release from the rock I'll dip the rock and find out what the damned thing is. Dead I hope
thanks so much for the advice and thanks for planning such a great event, I really enjoyed it and came home with a great prize! The 24 inch reefbrite led light ! it will be marvelous on the 30 gallon tank. Gorgeous light !

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Stomella snails are knows to climb up to highest points in the tank and releasing their sperm into the water column, it's look like a cloud of whiteness lol . They do not look line ordinary snails. Could this be a possibility?

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I honestly don't know, it startled me for sure. I don't have that type of snail unless I picked up a hitch hiker. But whatever it was poked it's head out of a hole in the rock and spewed the white liquid and then disappeared back into the hole which is why I'm thinking some kind of worm. Just plain weird. At first I thought it was the anenome and would have continued to think that if I hadn't actually seen it spew. Geesh ! thanks for the suggestion.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i have some encrusting worms that do the same thing, release a ton of semen into the water, nothing harmful atal, but i agree with salty, that along shouldnt make your water cloudy...

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks Brandon,
I panicked clear and simple LOL - too much excitement for one day ! As the common answer seems to be semen into the water I'm ok with that now, now to see if I get a look again at this creature and figure out what it is  :? The water cleared quickly, my biggest worry was the anenome and it's fine. This silly old gal should stick to  :popcorn:
Thanks again for all the advice guys, I do appreciate it
Sherry

harleymike

Super Active Member
I know exactly what it is.

You have too get rid of those reefbrite lights.
There causing all your problems.
If you give them too a nice guy in Courtright your problems will disapear.

LOL
Sorry couldn't resist.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
I know exactly what it is.

You have too get rid of those reefbrite lights.
There causing all your problems.
If you give them too a nice guy in Courtright your problems will disapear.

LOL
Sorry couldn't resist.

Why did I know I was going to read exactly what I read before I even looked at it  :eek: Thanks for the chuckle, absolutely love it ! the post and the light, but damn that worm must not be impressed haha !  these old tired eyes, are even worse than usual, on puppy watch for friends, to bed late due to the worm situation and my panic then up at the crack of sparrow  :poop:  time for a quick nap and then back to hopefully deliver pug puppies today !