Striatus Bristletooth Tang

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
lmao with how this world is its prob some mutation lmao they may have had eggs at one point but are almost like floppy tube worms now the new few are like little hairs but arent getting as thick as originally... something seems to be working can see where he has healed over where majority have fallen off attitude wise you would think he is perfectly fine which is a big difference heres a pic i snapped as he was chasing mysis around am glad he is eating well. Gave another fw dip today with some methylene blue in it to keep away fungus and infection from harming all those freshly healing wounds it works really well at speeding the healing and helps oxygenate the blood. Some time in the next couple days i gotta add carbon and remove the copper for a while since it is registering at the high end of the safe zone once its not registering on my tests ill start my para guard treatment.
20141015_204829.jpg

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
yay finally no more lil white strings on him fingers crossed nothing re-appears no signs of anything else bad except a little ugly spot on his face where he was hit hard and a couple marks on his side.... colour pattern is starting to slowly show through the purple another week and he gets a trial in just salt water

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
doing great fins arent worse colour is beautiful. around his mouth has healed up nicely i removed all the copper with carbon til was no longer registering on tests and did a 2 day full dose paraguard treatment..... i have now shut down the med tank and moved him to the empty frag tank and no relapse after 2 days (water temp is about 79.8 f) so something should show if he is a carrier once his mouth has fully healed you can have him back if you dont want him then ill throw him in my reef ( maybe he will set my yellow straight since he is twice the size lol) and he started to chow on the nori as well :)

Last edited:

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
doing great fins arent worse colour is beautiful. around his mouth has healed up nicely i removed all the copper with carbon til was no longer registering on tests and did a 2 day full dose paraguard treatment..... i have now shut down the med tank and moved him to the empty frag tank and no relapse after 2 days (water temp is about 79.8 f) so something should show if he is a carrier once his mouth has fully healed you can have him back if you dont want him then ill throw him in my reef ( maybe he will set my yellow straight since he is twice the size lol) and he started to chow on the nori as well :)
Glad to hear he's doing so well! You saved him, he's yours to keep. I have no idea if I bought him and he was already sick, or if he got it from my tank. No sense in putting him back in my system. You have a yellow tang that needs to be mellowed out anyway! Enjoy :)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
wow this guy eats as much as my whole reef tank will is a food monster seems to like the 90 gal cant imagine how much he will like the 125.

he already plays in the current and theres alot more in the reef just waitinga while longer want to make sure he is good to go before i introduce him

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Will this type of thing go away on its own over time? My PBT has something similar but only a cpl strands and it comes and goes. I feed them extreme reef cuisine and dried seaweed. None of my other fish have got it, and the pbt has had it off and on since i introduced him a few months back.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
f
wow this guy eats as much as my whole reef tank will is a food monster seems to like the 90 gal cant imagine how much he will like the 125.

he already plays in the current and theres alot more in the reef just waitinga while longer want to make sure he is good to go before i introduce him
fabulous news ! I agree, a sticky post with how you treated this would be a big benefit to others

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Will this type of thing go away on its own over time? My PBT has something similar but only a cpl strands and it comes and goes. I feed them extreme reef cuisine and dried seaweed. None of my other fish have got it, and the pbt has had it off and on since i introduced him a few months back.

ask jeffopentax thats who i got him from i think it just came outta nowhere a while after introduction cant remember tho and never did have a positive id so kinda did a cure all aproach i think the biggest part of medicating fish is getting familiar with how to use certain products and stick to it also ask a reputable lfs for help or e-mail suppliers the bottle is just a basic reference most places can give a detailed routine to work you through your struggles i find seachem especially helpful for these reasons. And trust me i killed the first few fish i tried to help medicating is not easy most meds work by being strong enough to kill whatever but low enough the fish can tolerate and its a fine line for success sometimes the best is multiple treatments and strong knowledge of what your using

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
time ticking down till i try and catch him and put him in my reef still no signs of anything hope all goes well. has been eating well almost as much as my reef tank so will have to add an extra veggie clip for a while or things might get nasty my theory if they are all full they are too lazy to fight... has kept my 6 shrimp safe from my snowflake eel

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well today after work i took the plunge figure he has gone a while with no meds now and looking very healthy and eating well so he has officially been introduced to the reef hope all goes well.... my yellow tang postured up immediately and slowly worked his way toward the new guy until he made it round the rock and realised he is twice its size lol no tail flapping and yellow has been put in his place definately worked out better than expected its always a big risk playing with 2 larger tangs