sulphur denitrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cal_stir

I've been battling high nitrates for a while now, i've added live rock, a remote deep sand bed, less feeding, more water changes, without significant results.
My nitrates are about 20ppm.
So i've built a sulphur denitrator.
I just started cycling it, I will post the results.
Here's a pic.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
looks interesting cal,ive been dosing my tank with vodka last 2 months and have seen a drop  in nitrates and phosphates but seems like a slow process,mine was over 40ppm but is stable now at 10ppm and i hope to reach zero within the next few weeks,im looking forward to your results

C

Cal_stir

Here's the first update on the unit

Dec. 9/10  started unit, ran it full open for 24 hrs and shook it many times to remove the air.
Dec. 10/10 set drip rate to 1 dps
Dec. 11/10 tested water and effluent

water - NO3 - 20ppm
                    eff - NO2 - 0
                    eff - N03 - 20ppm

Dec. 14/10 water - NO3 - 20ppm
                    eff - NO2 - .20ppm
                    eff - NO3 - 20ppm

Dec. 17      water - NO3 - 20ppm
                    eff - NO2 - 1.0ppm
                    eff - NO3 - 20ppm

Dec. 20      water - NO3 - 20ppm
                    eff - NO2 - .25ppm
                    eff - NO3 - 18ppm

tests were done with API test kit
i have not seeded the unit as i do not want to cycle it too quickly and have it crash due to over population of bacteria
it is currently running in a bucket of aquariuim water as this is experimental
i think HO-HO is bringing me an ORP controller for christmas(cause i been good) so i'll have redox readings at the next update.
at this point it doesn't look like much is happening, but the one thing i have learned is that the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a CRASH   

C

Cal_stir

Rick: Thanks for the kind words. I think everybody has something they're handy at, I know that I couldn't have built this forum, you are doing a great job.

C

Cal_stir

pulpfiction1: I also contemplated vodka dosing, but since I don't drink, I thought my fish shouldn't drink either,lol, I did a lot of research on both and it seems that once the denitrator is dialed in, it should be maintenance free for a couple of years, also, it can be controlled with an ORP controller.
glad to see the vodka is working for you, keep us posted.

C

Cal_stir

Update on denitrator

All was looking good.  Had moved the unit to the display tank,  Unit was cycling well, it was removing nitrates,  however my Mag3 pump started leaking :mad: :mad: :mad:, had to take the pump apart and silicone the O Ring as there is a flaw in the design.  This pump should not be used externally although they say it can be.
This caused air to enter the reactor which caused my redox to go way up into the positive, I got the leak fixed and the unit running again however, I think I am back at square one in the cycling process.
Will update  soon as I have some results.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
bummer cal,i sure hope it works out,MOPS has those seals and dilivery is quick,those pumps(i have the mag18) will run outside the water but i found mine was loud,i over tightened this intake coupling and cracked the housing but MOPS came through,had my impellor cover in 3 days,i sure hope you get that workin good,this vodka dosing is slow cuz im kinda chicken to go big time so keepin the dose to 1ml per the 125 gallons of water i have in the system once daily.ill give it another 6-8 weeks and see if i can get to zero n03 and pO4-3,i will try your setup if you get stable results

S

shayneh

LOL!  I'm VSV dosing a total of 2.5mL/day in my biocube now. Nitrates are undetectable and water is so clear it's crazy. Wish I had starfyre glass so my fish would look like they are floating in air.

C

Cal_stir

Denitrator update

The unit is up and functioning, the effluent is 0 NO3 and 0 NO2 and redox is -175mv, however, I can only achieve this @ 1 drip per second.
I think my performance problem is due to the sulphur media, the media I am using now is Caribsea LSM, it looks like yellow rocksalt.
I've ordered some sulphur pearls which are used in the commercial units, they are small beads that allow for better and more uniform flow through the reactor. From my research, my unit should achieve @ 6 DPS.
I am going to replace the sulphur only and retest the unit.
I will post as soon as I have the results.

The reason I chose the denitrator over vsv dosing is that the denitrator houses and feeds anerobic bacteria that eats nitrate and not oxygen, like a deep sand bed on steroids.
vsv dosing promotes the growth of aerobic oxygen eating bacteria, NO3 and PO4 and O2 are used in the building of the cell wall then the bacteria dies and is skimmed off removing the NO3 and PO4. IMO this method is a slippery slope the can lead to bacteria blooms, a low O2 enviroment, and a monoculture of bacteria forming in the system. Not a natural way to use the bacteria.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i see the issues with the dosing of vodka and for one i feel that i am too carfull just for that reason,chicken is the way i put it,anyhow im glad to see your up and runnign with good results,have you heard of these bio pellets they sell at BRS?

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya Ive been following progress with those bio beads as well. everyone seems to be having issues with cyano from the use of the bio beads though.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
that aint good,i am seriuosly considerin a try when we do the group by,they sell sulpher as well,i just want a permanant solution(if one exists)the one i am using seems to be working somewhat,maybe i will increase or try the VSV for a bit,otherwise im looking at creating a reactor similar to yours,i just hope that yours works out with little matainance

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
im still not sure of anything new yet either,but i am looking at pellets as well as sulpher,i need to build a new sump,larger so i can put my dsb in it as opposed to the main tank.my fish keep digging and moving rock and im constantly rearanging to keep winding up with dead spots ,i think this might be some of the reason i have slow results with the vodka,the sulpher looks like once its up and running proper there really isnt daily matainance with it like dosing daily,was kinda hoping to find a comfort zone then build a drip but i have my tank ripped apart tonight to see if i can make the rockwork more stable in the mean while

C

Cal_stir

Bio beads are basically the same as vsv dosing, they are a carbon source and housing for aerobic (oxygen eating) bacteria, this bacteria does not eat nitrate. The bio beads are consumed slowly, as the bacteria reproduces and dies, NO3 and PO4 and O2 are used up in the process, but the bacteria has to die and be skimmed out to remove the NO3 and PO4 from your system. There is no way to control it.
Sulphur is also a carbon source feeding bacteria, the sulphur is consumed slowly (should last @ 2 years), but the bacteria is anerobic (nitrate eating) and lives in the reactor, it has a natural life cycle, and only live in a low oxygen enviroment. It is important to not build the reactor too big because when the nitrates are reduced to nil it may be necessary to remove some media to accomodate the reduced load. It can be controlled with an ORP controller.
I have read studies that show DSBs do not have the nitrate reduction capability beyond a light bio load,eg. a few fish and a few corals.
I have tried a DSB in the tank, in the gium, and in a bucket to no avail, my bio load is too great, (18 fish, many inverts and lots of corals). My nitrate problem began when my bio load got high.
The denitrator does not eliminate the need for water changes as at least a 10% monthly is recomended to ensure ionic balance, but some systems were run sucessfully for years without water changes.

Give me another week or two to see the results of the sulphur change.
BRS does not sell sulphur. Oceans Direct.ca does, search "sulphur"

C

Cal_stir

The denitrator does not reduce PO4, so it is necessary to run GFO as well.

C

Cal_stir

pulpfiction1
I also tried a layer of bio beads @ the 5" mark in my DSB in a bucket, which was 6" deep, did not see any results, however when I tore it down it was black and stinky, I'm glad I got rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.