Sump Setup (Baffle Size Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxmurrxx

Going to get some glass cut to make up a sump shortly but want to make sure I get the right cuts.

The baffle on the right, does this have to be smaller than the baffle on the left or can it be the same height?
Im thinking the same height is what is usually done, but just making sure before spending $ on the cuts.
Also if anyone has any ideas for a better setup let me know.

file-14.jpg

davesolo29

Super Active Member
what skimmer are you using?  the one you have marked at 9" will obviously determine the amount of water you skimmer sits in.

i would also set up a bubble trap between skimmer and fuge section.

the one with the arrow will determine how much your fuge section will hold.  it can be shorter than your skimmer section if you like.
then you have another bubble trap in place already.  the last one can be smaller if you like.  dont go bigger or the previous one will be obsolete.

xxmurrxx

davesolo29 link said:
what skimmer are you using?  the one you have marked at 9\" will obviously determine the amount of water you skimmer sits in.

i would also set up a bubble trap between skimmer and fuge section.

the one with the arrow will determine how much your fuge section will hold.  it can be shorter than your skimmer section if you like.
then you have another bubble trap in place already.  the last one can be smaller if you like.  dont go bigger or the previous one will be obsolete.

Looking at the Reef Octopus DIABLO SX 160, 8-9.5" depth thats why I chose 9.
So better performance reversing the bubble trap on the other side? or just for the option to make the fuge deeper?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
its not going to make your fuge any deeper. 
the reason i would put traps on both sides is to help stop sand from getting to both your skimmer pump and return pump. 

spyd

Super Active Member
Your baffles make sense if you are putting sand in your sump. I would maintain a height of 9" acorss the entire sump that way there is no water falling thus preventing any bubbles or noise.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
No I would strongly recommend against acrylic baffles unless your sump is acrylic. I've seen people use acrylic baffles on a glass sump and they don't bond well with glass atal. And I've seen them bend under pressure, although that's more because he used a to thin sheet of acrylic.

+1 to what spyd said

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
All my baffles are acrylic/lexan. They stay put. All you need is a bead of silicone on either side of acrylic baffle and it isn't going to go anywhere, even if the silicone doesn't bond to acrylic well, the bead on the glass won't be moving at all.

xxmurrxx

Don't really have any acrylic laying around, so if i'm going to buy I might as well go with the glass.  I think the place i'm getting the cuts from will be able to polish the edge so it's not sharp, or fine sandpaper should do.

Thanks for the info guys.

spyd

Super Active Member
They will polish the edges for you. I had glass baffles cut for me. i think it cost me $10 for the baffles and they polished all the edges for me.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I like the plexi you get at Home Depot .  Drill holes in it if needed. Cut teeth.  Reusable and durable. Maybe more expensive I guess depending on the thickness you want/need cause it will bow a fair bit if the water levels are really different

Status
Not open for further replies.