Sumpless 75g 'cube'

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Bacteria bloom making the water cloudy is my guess, happen when I started my frag tank as well
Well that's what I thought, but I've never been able to remove a bloom.with filter floss.

Numbers are good, nitrates 20-30, but semi normal for a.new tank.

Corals are happy as well, fish and snails too!

I'm not concerned, just curious :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Update!

Added a purple tang Feb 28, doing very well (1.5") tiny little guy.
been adding corals, little here, little there, just stocked up last week from @Painter Steve
Some beautiful zoas and going to try some sps, (acro and a birdsnest) crazy polyp extension on the acro.

All fish have been doing great.

Still keeping up with weekly 20g water changes.
Diatoms are pretty much done, starting to see some purple cyano now, but i have full intentions to let that run its course, i remove with water changes, and eventually it should consume its food source.

Will add pictures shortly!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Pictures

Also discovered that without mechanical filtration ( simple filter floss) the water gets cloudy within a week or two, regardless of water changes.
8d4ef678cf20e195a2eda79ebae85ef9.jpg
80b12ac87d50fa55e6fb8972c17a7b25.jpg
5fb91cedbd0c1f230dcfc866eeb9df78.jpg
b6a6b84b7fda3aacf334213435037d41.jpg
b0fdd0e80b964432a74931b3dbbdedd6.jpg
4c46a38260a5aa6a1ea1b11a708b5798.jpg

Josh

I had same issue on my 1 sumpless setup. I picked up a small UV that cleared it right up, been crystal clear ever since. Check our "Green killing Machine" they come in various sizes.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I had same issue on my 1 sumpless setup. I picked up a small UV that cleared it right up, been crystal clear ever since. Check our "Green killing Machine" they come in various sizes.
not a bad idea, just not sure i have the space to add more hang on back stuff haha. the crutch of sumpless lol

Josh

Physically it looks like 1 of your cobalt heaters. I agree probably not an option but check it out, not exactly what you think it is.
(not my tank)
maxresdefault.jpg

Seasquirt

Hows everything going? I'm starting my first ever sw tank, looks like a 24x24x24 cube is the tank. Yours is high 30 inchs, great for your Bangaii.

Seriously thinking UV sterilizer, did you get one? Lets see some more pics. Enjoy

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Tanks been doing great !

Added a pistol shrimp and goby recently.

I'm joining the colbat heater bashing group now.

Stuck my hand in the tank yesterday and recieved a massive shock. It was the heater ( after checking everything one by one )

Never did get a uv sterilizer.

Also considering running skimmer less, I have it off most times as it's decently loud and I feel like an extra water change can easily make up for not running it.

Seasquirt

Skimmerless on a 75, not sure about that, you could run it the odd night. I know the UV is not popular in saltwater but they do have their use. Shocks are not fun. Good to hear that everything is progressing.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Skimmerless on a 75, not sure about that, you could run it the odd night. I know the UV is not popular in saltwater but they do have their use. Shocks are not fun. Good to hear that everything is progressing.
I ended up removing the skimmer mid august. Not a single regret. Very Simple tank, basicly a heater, watermovment and an auto top off.

Everything is doing great, i even have a couple sticks alive and growing.

I got lazy over the summer, and there was a span of 3-4 months i did no water changes. Stuff started looking tired, so a series of water changes turned it right around.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ive had some success with tank, some zoas and mushrooms loving it and growing like wildfire.

Other corals wither away.

after 1 year I have decided to call it quits on this tank though with the following conclusion

Sump-less is possible. (skimmerless too)
It requires far more attention to detail, and regular scheduled maintenance.
low stock levels are key for this.

Even with the best intentions, i cant keep up to what this tank requires to thrive, so i am reverting back to a sump setup.
I've purchased an almost new 90g and am setting it up in the next few weeks/ transferring everything over.

to anyone reading this, considering going sumpless.

Try it, i learned alot in the 1 year i had it setup, stretching and exceeding alot of limits and 'rules of reefing'
It is harder to get an nice asethic though.

For ease of use and convenience, go with a sump.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Looks great what light u run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsuny leds - ebay, had for 5 years now, ran for about 3 of those?

They work surprisingly well, full programmable on 4 channels

Seasquirt

Dsuny leds - ebay, had for 5 years now, ran for about 3 of those?

They work surprisingly well, full programmable on 4 channels

So are you running the dsuny lights with your new tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Good call I did a sumpless 40 gallon for 4-5 years and it’s challenging , over all I did ok , but what bugged me the most is having everything hanging in the tank was an eye sore , but on my newer 120g with a sump wow I’d never go back , unless I had a 20g or smaller system and a 5 g wc would work for me