Tank Bracing

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Going to look at a DIY tank tomorrow, and wondering about a couple things regarding bracing. The tank is a 270g, 3/4" glass, 72" x 24" x 36" tall. For bracing on top it has 4, 4"x 24" braces, 1/4" thick. Is that sufficient? Also, would an acrylic rim help at all structurally? Lots of time before I'm able to set the beast up, so wondering if any modifications or additions should be made first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamous113

IMHO the bracing glass should be thicker for the braces. best way to tell is to run the parameters thru software that mimics forces in the tank, or call a tank builder like miricals and ask. IMHO the safety factor is low on 1/4" thick but over that length and having 4 of them it may be good. That said you can easily change it your self. Biggest thing is to look at the main seems for signs of separation and air bubbles, the corner beads can be cut out and redone. splitting and redoing a large tank is a pain in the ass and takes 2 people to do.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Yeah I have ZERO interest in a rebuild! Definitely will be looking at the seams. I've never had a tank leak, don't want this to be the first!

heath

Distinguished Member
fowlr can be beautiful..there are some really nice decorations that you can add for colour, that's what I did with mine...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
So as much as I didn't want to build a tank, looks like that's a journey I'm going to make. Tank had a lot of light scratches (hoping they can be buffed out), and the stairs to get it out were many and very steep! Plan is for the tank to be dismantled, glass moved to new house, then reassembled. May have bitten off more than I can chew! We shall see...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Polishing glass with cerium oxide can be done but it is some serious hard work and care has to be taken to not create optical distortion...as for assembling a large glass tank...that's out of my league...I'll stick to my acrylic projects..LOL

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Polishing glass with cerium oxide can be done but it is some serious hard work and care has to be taken to not create optical distortion...as for assembling a large glass tank...that's out of my league...I'll stick to my acrylic projects..LOL
It definitely could turn out to be a lost cause, buy who doesn't like a project?! :)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Cerium oxide does work. But it's a lot of work. Even with a multi speed buffer.
You'll have to find a local glass dealer in your area and order the cerium oxide. I think I paid $70 for the jar I have.

Sony Xperia Z3
How much did you get for $70? Just looked on ebay quickly and saw 1lb for $40 shipped.

heath

Distinguished Member
So as much as I didn't want to build a tank, looks like that's a journey I'm going to make. Tank had a lot of light scratches (hoping they can be buffed out), and the stairs to get it out were many and very steep! Plan is for the tank to be dismantled, glass moved to new house, then reassembled. May have bitten off more than I can chew! We shall see...

you are brave, be sure to post pictures...

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
It might work. But will take you even longer.
I used a makita veritable speed buffer. Took me about 4hrs to do a 2'x2' section and it was a lot of work.

Sony Xperia Z3

Is yours like this?
5d9182fc8be256377d48acaff8f9b015.jpg

I was thinking one similar in style to the one I posted would lessen fatigue a bit. Those grinder types I find are brutal on the wrist.