Tank Cycle

calli

Hey all,

I am fairly new to the hobby and have yet to start up my build. However it will be a 90 gallon when I do.

My LFS told me that the rock they sell is already cured so I don’t need to worry about cycling. However everything I read here says. “Cycle or die”

Any input on this?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winks

Website Affiliate
What you read is correct. Cycle, cycle cycle. Go slow take your time. It will pay off big time in the end. My first one was 6 months before I put any livestock in it. The one I'm doing now has been a year in the planning and probably another 5 to 8 months before I put livestock in it. I've been curing my own rock for about 6 months now. I might be a little extreme, but I believe it pays off in the end. Research, reseach and more research. Just when you begin to believe you have learnt something, other things pop up, but again, well worth the time.

Winks

Website Affiliate
Oh and welcome to Frag Tank. Lots of knowledge here. Any questions just ask away. Someone will have an answer for you.

WiredWeasel

Even if the live rock is properly cycled, there is a period of time in which the bacteria living in the rock must adjust to the new bioload in the tank. Generally speaking new tanks do not have enough nutrients to sustain a large amount of live rock added to the new tank. As such you will experience a die off and the cycle will begin anew.

Last edited:

calli

Thank you. Additional question.

If I start with say 45 lbs of LR can I add small amounts later if I want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes you can add small amounts later. Your best bet would be to add dry rock. It does not take long for the dryrock to come to life and blend into the old rock.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
You can add more dry rock at a time than live rock because it doesn't have any bacteria to die off and start a new cycle. It begins to be populated by the bacteria you already have in your tank. It is a good idea to rinse it off though before you put it into your tank because then you won't be adding any loose dust and dirt to your tank.

Jewel

The first few tank that I set up we're, cycle, cycle, cycle, 3 months of waiting before adding anything. Now I don't wait as long and add fish sooner.

Some fish will live through the cycle, this may not be what most may choose to do, it really depends on how cured the rock is, I tried to buy rock that was cured.

A few years back I had new man made rock and put in Dr Tim's nutrfying bacteria and added fish 2 weeks later and it was fine.

It's really up to you on which way you choose. My current tank was started with cured rock, waited a month and added two Clowns and took my time with what I added

Joshbrookkate

I prefer to cycle without fish. I feed flakes like there were fish in the tank. Test for ammonia spike, then nitrite spike, then nitrates. Then I know it's cycled. No livestock until then.
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Learning patience is a great tool for successful reefing.
Welcome!
And good luck with your project!