Tank Drilling

heath

Distinguished Member
not sure if this will help but, when Zoomster drilled the holes in my 75 gal he gave me support (?) pieces that go between the tank and the bulkhead, get in touch with him and I am sure that he can explain further..
could be that the ring from the bulkhead will cover it...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Brace your drains with straps, and you will be fine. With an internal overflow box installed there is very little water pressure in the overflow, the pressure would be on the overflow itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoomster

the "support" pieces that i gave Heath are not due to any issues with the bulkheads. they are to help absorb stress on the glass pane and reduce the risk of a fracture in the event that the tank or plumbing assy is moved or "twisted" ect while still connected.

Easto

Brace your drains with straps, and you will be fine. With an internal overflow box installed there is very little water pressure in the overflow, the pressure would be on the overflow itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yah, I was starting to think the same thing. I have a rather large overflow box and this hole is literally right in the middle of the box. The box itself will be baring the pressure of the water more so than this portion of glass. I do however want to be safe.

zoomster

Just some food for thought here.
I prefer the external overflow box as well but...if you ever move it to another room or a new house ect.
That extra glass hanging off the back may cause issues either in fit or potential breakage.
The pipes are much easier to remove for transport and if you leave them on and they do get broken, how much is a piece of pipe and how hard is it to replace it? I would prefer the busted pipes over shattered glass IMHO. :)

Last edited:

zoomster

Also, as to the pressure on the overflow box, internal or external, the pressure is still the same on the rear pane. And unless you are using a HOB overflow. You still need to drill the rear which does weaken the structural integrity of the glass.
Just trying to point out a few things i have encountered to help you out. The more info, facts, experience and opinions you can get, the better and safer the decision you make!

Boga

Would you drill two 1-3/8 inch dia holes, close to each other, let's say about 2 inch apart? (3-3/8 centre to centre).

What about three holes in a row? Same pattern.

50G tank, holes on side pane, at water level.

zoomster

I would say no myself.
2" edge to edge is cutting it pretty close, i personally would not do it if i absolutely did not need to. You may also find if they are that close together, you may have clearance issues with the bulkhead fittings when you try and install them.

nanoreefwanabe

I have filed five tanks most three holes each no breakage. .. no chip out either. ..

Best way to prevent chips it's to clamp a piece of plywood to the inside of the tank and drill into after the glass. . The pressure on the glass will prevent the drill from pushing through and blowing the plug out