Tank Parameters

adamo

Hi,
I am doing a FOWLR and was wondering if i have to check for calcium and phosphates and if i need reactors.
Also what test should i perform for a FOWLR tank besides ph,ammonia,nitrite,nitrate
Thanks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You always should test, but I do not think they matter at all. With a FOWLR tank, you can battle things like algae with chemicals and not worry about how they will hurt your corals. The reason we all run all that extra crap is to battle algae and other issues without chemicals. I would recommend running a full system, but that is just me.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
For a FOWLR tank I would test for phosphates as well as your regulars of pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. The reason being that high phosphates usually means that you will get more algae. If you can keep the phosphates lower that can help decrease the algae growth. Calcium isn't as necessary but testing it and keeping your levels within range can also help keep your pH at the right level.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
For a FOWLR tank I would test for phosphates as well as your regulars of pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. The reason being that high phosphates usually means that you will get more algae. If you can keep the phosphates lower that can help decrease the algae growth. Calcium isn't as necessary but testing it and keeping your levels within range can also help keep your pH at the right level.
+1 Do not let your phosphates get high! Once that hair algae gets going it's a real battle to get rid of. It's a battle I lost in my old tank. I recommend a reactor with rowaphos from the very start.

adamo

Okay thanks for the responses i went ahead and bought a marine test kit, calcium test and phosphate test

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just my opinion, but for a strict FOWLR and once things are cycled, I would only monitor the temperature. Its amazing what extreme water parameters fish can endure.

If you see algae,it means you have high phosphates.

KISS principle, regular water changes with RODI and run some GFO in a reactor and you should have no problems managing phosphates effectively.

If you get into lps/sps corals, you will need to start monitoring your alkalinity,calcium, and phosphates more closely.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If you want snails you will have to watch things a bit more, but if no snails then just temperature, salinity and PH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk